Chapter Thirty-Nine | Bekah's Back

"Sister," Klaus says in surprise when he walks through the door.

"Hello, Nik."

His eyes shift to Malia's wide eyes on the steps and the heart in his sister's hands.

"What's going on here?"

"She just saved my life, Klaus," Malia breathed. "Kian, he-he attacked me."

Her hand went up to her neck where Kian had bit and she felt the warm liquid coat her hand. She brought it back in front of her face.

"He bit me," she stared at her own blood. "Am I going to turn into a vampire?"

Klaus sped up to her, already biting his arm to offer the vampire blood to her.

"That's not how it works, love," he said as she drank some of his blood. The wound wasn't that bad and it healed quickly.

"Is this your new plaything, Nik?" Rebekah taunted, throwing the heart on the ground.

"Careful Rebekah," Klaus warned. "'Less you want to end up daggered again."

"This is so typical of you, Nik. I just saved her life and you're already threatening to put me away again."

"Nobody will be daggering anybody. We are a family again."

Elijah stood in the doorway looking over the scene. His sister lit up when she saw him and went over to greet him properly.

"What happened here?" Elijah looked between Kian's corpse, his sister's bloodied hand, and Malia's healing neck wound.

"I heard a knock and it was Kian," Malia started. "He just attacked me out of nowhere. He apologized and then he bit me, and that's when your sister killed him."

"He apologized?" Elijah repeated.

Malia nodded.

"It was so weird. Do you think that this is some of that 'suggestion' stuff?"

"It could be."

"What the hell are you all talking about?" Rebekah looked to her brothers for them to fill her in.

-

After Rebekah is caught up on the situation, the two women found themselves alone in the house. Rebekah regarded Malia with a mixture of curiosity and caution.

Malia, still startled from the recent ordeal, struggled to find the words to convey her gratitude. "Rebekah, I can't thank you enough. You saved my life."

The blonde shrugged.

"I hate a man with no manners."

Malia sensed the distance between them, the unspoken truth that Rebekah didn't really think she was worth all of the trouble her brothers were going through to protect her. Malia decided to address the situation.

"Rebekah, I know we've just met and you have no reason to trust or befriend me. But you brothers mean a lot to me. I hope that counts for something."

Rebekah's lips quirked into a semblance of a smile.

"You're perceptive, I'll give you that. My brothers have taken a liking to you. Niklaus has tortured me and our siblings for hundreds of years, but Elijah . . . Elijah is a good man."

Malia's eyebrows raised in slight surprise. She had considered Elijah to be the "bad boy" of the two. He had turned on her the quickest and tortured that witch.

"You humans seem to attract trouble at an alarming rate. Is this a peculiar talent you possess?"

Malia managed a weak smile. "Seems like it, although it's not a talent I'm particularly proud of."