Chapter Twenty-One | Get Away

"Conditional" by Seamus O'Brian

Malia wakes up with her hands tied tightly behind her back. She's sitting on the hardwood of the living room, her whole body aching.

"Good morning, witch," Klaus smiles sinisterly as he watches her wake up.

"Are you serious? You already kidnapped me, now I'm being tied up?" She glares at Klaus. "How many times do I have to tell you? I'm not a witch."

"She's not a witch," Elijah says, walking in through the door. "At least, not the witch we're looking for."

"What are you talking about, Elijah?" Klaus flashes his brother a deadly stare. "I just tied her up because you convinced me that she was."

Elijah sighs and looks at his brother. 

"There were two more murders last night. It couldn't have been her."

Klaus looks down, then turns to a pissed-off Malia, the mistake he's made dawning on him.

"Will you please untie me now? This hurts." 

"Sorry about that, love," Klaus says when the ropes come off.

"Sorry doesn't even begin to cover it," she looks between the brothers. "You're both just so used to stomping all over whoever you want whenever it's convenient for you."

Her eyes narrow on Elijah.

"You promised me that I would be safe here. You said you wouldn't hurt me, that you would both protect me."

"Malia, you have to understand-" Elijah looks down in shame.

"I don't have to do anything," Malia retorts, "except get as far away from here as possible."

She storms upstairs to pack her things again, throwing them in boxes.

"Malia," Elijah is at the door. "You don't have to go."

"No, I do, Elijah," she angrily gathers her clothes.

"I said I would keep you safe, I mean to keep my promise."

"Really? Then what exactly was that?"

He doesn't know how to respond. Malia grabs a box full of her things and starts to leave. She stops next to Elijah.

"I believe you wanted to keep me safe. But the second you thought I might be against you, you turned on me. And I can't risk that happening again, because who knows what you'll do next?"

Elijah doesn't try to stop her as she walks out of the room. He doesn't even stop her as she walks out of the house.