Chapter Twenty-Two | Honesty

"Strange Meadow Lark" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet

"Why did you ask me here?" Nelle asks as she walks into Malia's apartment. Malia shuts the door behind her and turns to her witch friend.

"Why did you give me this?" Malia holds up her wrist, showing her the bracelet. 

Nelle looks at the bracelet, her eyes widening.

"What do you mean? It was a gift," she tries to cover up.

"Cut the crap, Nelle. I know you're a witch."

"A witch? What do you-"

"Will someone just tell me the truth, for once?" Malia brings her hands to her head, exasperated. 

Nelle sighs.

"Fine, I'm a witch. The bracelet is to protect you. How did you find out?"

"The Mikaelsons told me."

Nelle hissed at the name, clenching her jaw. 

"I told you to stay away from Klaus, M. Stay away from Elijah, too. They're trou-"

"Vampires, I know," Malia began to pace. "The Originals."

"H-how do you know about that?" Nelle suddenly looks nervous.

"They told me," Malia says. "I mean, they tried to erase it from my memory, but it didn't exactly work."

Nelle nods.

"The bracelet I gave you. It has vervain in it, it prevents vampires from compelling you."

"No, this was before you gave me the bracelet."

"What?" Nelle's eyebrows knit. "But that's-"

"Not possible, I know. It's got the brothers in a bit of a frenzy, too."

She looks up at Nelle, stopping in her tracks.

"Why me? Why did you decide you wanted to be friends with me?"

"I don't know, I thought you were cool," Nelle says.

"You really expect me to believe that?" Malia laughs. "I've been in the city for a few months and somehow my three closest friends that I've made are a witch and two vampires. That's just a coincidence?" 

"I don't know, M. But I'll help you figure it out," Nelle steps toward her friend, grabbing each of her hands in hers. "I promise."

Malia relaxed. She could feel that her friend was being genuine. 

"Birdy will help, too,"

"Birdy?"

"Yes, they're also a witch."

"What about Ellie?"

"No, not as far as I know," Nelle knits her brows.

"Okay," Malia says. "Just checking how far these lies go."

"Malia," Nelle sighs. "We will figure this out together. I'll ask around the other witches in New Orleans."