Chapter Thirty-Eight | An Attack

The Mikaelson mansion stood silent in the moonlight a few nights later. Malia, alone in the living room, had settled into a sense of solitude while Klaus and Elijah were out dealing with matters related to the murders.

Her peaceful night was interrupted by an unexpected knock at the door. Malia went to the door, cracking it open.

"Oh, Kian," she greeted, opening the door wider. Kian was a young vampire who had been in and out of the house for several weeks, reporting on the First Coven murders.

"Hey, Malia."

"Did Klaus and Elijah send you?" She turned and walked back to the living room, leaving the door open for him to walk in.

"Not exactly."

Malia turned back toward him to ask what he meant. Before she could react, Kian lunged forward, his fangs bared. She dodged and ran, but he was quick. He grabbed her. She couldn't overpower his strength and struggled helplessly against his grip.

She looked down at the bracelet Nelle had given her, remembering that it was filled with vervain.

She thrust it onto Kian's face and he let out a cry as it burned across his eye. He released her and she ran, starting up the stairs. She didn't make it far when he sped over to her and pulled her legs from underneath, making her fall on the stairs. 

He turns her around to face him and she throws out her hand again, hoping to burn him and escape. Kian had learned his lesson and he grabbed her forearm, forcing it to the stairs.

"I'm sorry Malia," Kian says before the veins on his face turn black and his fangs grow. Malia lets out a cry as his sharp teeth sink into her. Her eyes screw shut.

Kian backs up suddenly, a groan escaping his lips.

Malia is a mixture of confused and scared as she stares into Kian's shocked eyes. His skin turns ashy with bludging veins, and he drops on her, limp. Then, his body is pulled off and flung across the room.

A blonde woman stands above Malia, Kian's bloodied heart dripping in her hands.

"Now then. I'm Rebekah," the girl says. "And who the hell are you?"