Chapter Thirty-Three | Doorway Threshold

Elijah knocked down the door of Malia's apartment, barging through with her in his arms. He lays her down carefully on the couch.

"Thank you, Elijah," Malia says weakly, looking up into his worried eyes.

"I can't believe Ellie," Nelle throws her hands up. "That bitch! I thought she was my friend."

"Well now, brother," Klaus says from the doorway threshold, bitterness clear in his tone. "How did you get invited in?"

It bothered him that he couldn't be next to Malia when she was hurt, but the jealousy stabbed harder. How had Elijah gotten invited in, but not him? Was there more to their relationship than he had thought? Had they been together behind his back?

"Klaus," Malia says, and he looks back at her. The cuts over her body had begun to heal from the vampire blood Klaus had given her, but she still looked weak. "Come in."

He steps through the threshold. His eyes lock on his brother and his head tilts as his jaw tightens.

"Niklaus, pull yourself together,' Elijah's voice carries the weight of a brother's concern. "This jealousy, this suspicion- it serves no purpose. I was invited inside the first time Malia was exposed to our world, to explain. Nothing more than that."

"Niklaus," Malia repeats, exhaustion consuming her. She barely heard the rest of Elijah's words. "I didn't know your real name was Niklaus."

"I don't mean to interrupt," Nelle interjects.

"Then don't," Klaus snaps, but Nelle continues.

"But shouldn't someone go check on the witch cult? Get the body of that traitorous bitch I used to call a friend?"

Elijah disappears in a blink and reappears seconds later. 

"They're gone," he says. "All of them are gone."