Chapter Twenty-Three | Bronze Blade

The Mikaelson mansion was steeped in tension. Elijah and Klaus were filled with resentment at one another and themselves for having pushed Malia away. 

"This is entirely your fault, Elijah," Klaus spat with a scowl. 

Elijah, the composed and measured brother, remained seated in a plush armchair. His jaw tightened with his own frustration.

"Nobody told you to knock her out and tie her up. You did that on your own."

"You didn't exactly try to stop me, did you, brother?

"So typical of you, Niklaus, to blame anyone and everyone but yourself."

"She left because of your accusations, Elijah!" Klaus's voice thundered through the room as he slammed his hand on the table.

Before their dispute could escalate further, a piercing scream echoed through the street. The brothers froze, their disagreement momentarily forgotten as the shared a knowing glance.

Together, they sprinted toward the source of the scream, racing down the street and into an alleyway.

There, a group of witches cloaked in dark robes surrounded a young vampire, Kian. One of the witches carved into his skin with a long, bronze knife. His eyes were glazed as he fell helplessly to his knees.

Without stopping, the brothers each ran through the group, trying to take them out one-by-one. Klaus snatched one and sunk his teeth into their neck. Elijah snapped another's neck. The remaining witches stopped and turned themselves invisible before they could get to more.

Kian's eyes de-glazed as his skin started to heal. 

"Thank you," he stuttered to the Mikaelsons. "You saved my life."

Klaus began coughing. Elijah turned to his brother in surprise. Blood spewed from his mouth as Klaus clawed at his own throat.