Chapter Nine

My mom fell silent.

The only sound was the sound coming from the laptop. Her hand was frozen on my back, her fingers stopped playing with my hair and my heart was beating rapidly against my chest.

The hand that held mine left mine, leaving it cold. I close my eyes, afraid to see the look of shame in her eyes as she processes the words.

"What do you mean you're pregnant?"

I bite my lip and stay silent. My heart was beating so fast that I was afraid that it would actually beat right through my rib cage.

"Aaliyah, What do you mean you are pregnant!"

I sit up straighter and look her in the eyes that
showed the emotions of hurt but shock.

"I'm pregnant Mama."

My mom shakes her head and lets out a laugh.
"Oh God, that's funny Aaliyah it is."

I scrunch my eyebrows up in confusion and shake my head. "Why is it funny?"

"Because you're not pregnant. You know better than that." She says shrugging her shoulders as she takes another sip of her hot chocolate.

"But I am Mom. I am pregnant. I took a test today and it came back positive."

My mom shakes her head and puts her cup on the table. She doesn't say anything and puts her head in her hands and lets her shoulders fall.

"Are you sure? Aaliyah, please tell me this is some kind of joke."

"I'm not," I whisper looking back down at the floor. "I still have the test if you don't believe me, but I am pregnant Mom."

"Oh Aaliyah, I do believe you. I just wished it wasn't true." My Mom mutters pulling me into her embrace and laying my head on her chest.

"You're disappointed in me aren't you," I whisper as my mom pulls me away from her chest as she shakes her head.

"Oh god no. I could never be. I'm shocked and a little upset that you would go down the path that I went but I could never be disappointed in you."

I nod my head, a soft smile on my lips. I'm glad that my mom wasn't mad at me. She knew what it felt like being pregnant at my age and knew how it feels to be alone.

"Can I ask you one thing though Aaliyah? And I want you to be honest with me." She says moving a strand of hair out of my face.

"Anything Mama," I reply nodding my head as she softly smiles.

"Who's the father."

I stiffen at that. I knew she would have wanted to know who the father of her grandchild would be, but I didn't think she'd ask so soon. I thought she would ask me maybe a couple months into the pregnancy or something.

"Look I know you don't want to tell me, but it helps a lot if you can tell me. So we can go over and discuss with his family and-"

"No!" I say causing my mom to stare at me with wide eyes.

"Why not? Aaliyah I'm not making you go through with what I had to." She says putting her hand on mine but I pull away.

"We can't. Please understand that we can't. It will ruin everything."

"Is he married? Aaliyah, did you sleep with a married man?" She asks as my eyes widen and shake my head.

"Oh god no! Mom look please just understand that we can't tell them not while their son doesn't know." I say shaking my head as she nods her head slowly.

"Fine. We won't go but you do have to tell me who he is. I deserve that much." She says as I nod my head.
"It's Tyson Bradford," I say standing up straighter.

"Tyson is the father of my baby."

"As in your bully?" She says confused as I nod my head.

"Yes, my bully is the father of my baby."