Chapter Twenty-four

"So I and your grandma were talking, and we are letting you choose, you can finish school at the school you are at, or you can switch to online." My grandpa said to me, as we pulled into their house on the other side of the tracks.

Their house was big, like the way big. They lived in a rich neighborhood, two blocks down from Tyson to be precise, but my grandparents reassured me that they didn't like Stacy so she never comes around to my luck.

"I'll continue to go to school there. Graduation is next month." I reply by shrugging my shoulders as I put a hand on my barely noticeable stomach.

My grandma smiles and turns around in her seat and places her hand on my hand. "Okay, but if you change your mind don't be afraid to tell us okay?"

I nod my head with a smile before we all climb out of the car. The sun was beating down on us, but it wasn't too bad to where it was too hot. It was actually decent.

"Do you have your license, Aaliyah?" My grandpa asks as he gets my bags from out of the trunk.

I nod my head as he gives me a smile and nods
his head. "That's great. Why don't we head down to the dealership after lunch and go pick you out a car?"

"Oh I couldn't," I say shaking my head as my grandparents roll their eyes as we step inside.

"Nonsense. Think of it as a welcome home gift.
Besides," my grandma says walking into the kitchen while my grandpa goes to put my bag in my room. "It's a long walk to the school and I can't drive anymore and your grandpa works all the way in town."

I bite my lip as I look at my grandparents. They have been so nice to me and I feel like I'll be a burden. Especially once the baby comes. I don't want them to think that I'm using them for their money.

"Honey, if you're afraid it's the money don't." My grandpa says walking back downstairs and into the kitchen.

"It's not that," I say shaking my head as my grandparents look at me curiously. "I just don't want you guys to think I'm using you for your money."

My grandma laughs as she shakes her head.

"Aaliyah, we don't think that. Look, go change into something more comfortable and after lunch, we'll go down to the dealer."

I nod my head knowing that I can't pass up a free car and walk away with a smile.

Before you even accuse me of saying that's what I wanted all along, well it's not. What I wanted was my grandparents to like me and not think that I'm some scum trying to take their money because I'm poor and they're rich.

I'm not like that.

~~

Do you drive with your grandma and she will show you how to get to our house okay? I'll see you when I get off work." My grandpa says throwing my keys to my new, 2018 Honda HR-V.

I nod my head with a smile as I make my way to the drivers' side. I wave goodbye to my grandpa before turning to my grandma.

"I want to point out I'm not a bad driver and you won't die," I say causing her to laugh, but nod her head.

"Okay, but if you do kill me, I want them to play
'Highway to Hell'."

I nod my head and quickly get in. The smell of a brand new car feels my noise and I have to keep myself from sucking in a breath.

As much as I love the smell of a new car, I don't want my grandma to think her grandchild is a weirdo.

"So Aaliyah, how is the relationship with the baby's father like?" My grandma asks me as we pull out of the dealership.

I shrug my shoulders not really knowing how to
actually tell her that he would bully me and that he still does. "Okay, I guess. It could be better." I say as I stop at a red light and look down at my chipped nails. "I wished it was better for the sake of our baby."

My grandma nods her head as she turns her head to look out the window. "Your mom wanted the same thing with your father." She says making me quirk up in my seat at the mention of my father.

"My father?" I ask as my grandma nods her head and directs me to turn left at the next
light.

"Yeap. She told me that she wanted your father
to be there for you, but once he got that promotion, she didn't want you to be a burden."

"A burden?" I ask turning the corner as we enter their neighborhood five minutes later.

My grandma sighs and turns in her seat and gives me a sad smile. "Honey, before I can tell you any more about your father, you need to promise me that you won't judge your mother too fast."

I raise my eyebrow at my grandma and nod my head slowly as I pull into the driveway. I turn the car off and turn to my grandma who gives a sigh.

"So your mother had you at fifteen correct?"
She asks as I nod my head as she nods her head too.

"Well, I am sure you have heard some rumors around town about how your mom was a homewrecker, and how she would hoe herself around correct?"

"Yeah, but I brushed that away because I knew the truth. She isn't like that."

"That's correct. But have you heard anything about your father?"

I shook my head as my grandma nods her head.

"That's because she was hiding it from everyone because she didn't want his life to go downhill, and I'm not saying because of you."

"Why? Why would she want to protect him? Weren't they together or something?"

My grandma shakes her head and gives me a sad smile. "Honey, your father was already married at the time to a different woman."

I suck in a breath as my grandma gives my hand a tight squeeze. "Are you sure? I mean, she always told me that they were dating and that he loved her but he just didn't want to be tied down."

"I'm sure he felt something for your mother Aaliyah, I'm sure he did. But he was too ashamed of what he did and he didn't want your mother to ruin his marriage."

I stare at my grandma in silence. I can see her
filled with guilt but I didn't care. I was confused.

My mom always told me a different story about
my dad but my grandma is telling me something so different.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if my mom was lying to me this whole time about my dad. She lied to me about having grandparents who never cared about me, yet here I am with a grandma who actually does care for me.

"Who is my dad?"

"What?" My grandma asks shocked at my blunt answer to what she just told me.

"Who is my dad. I want to know."

"Are you sure honey?" My grandma asks as I nod my head causing her to sigh. "Hank Peterson is your father."

"Hank Peterson? As in, Hannah Peterson?"

My grandma nods her head as I shake my head.

"That can't be true. Hank loves his wife."

My grandma nods her head. "I'm sure he does now, but he is your father Aaliyah."