Chapter 19: The Sokovia Accords

At the Avengers Compound. Steve and Wanda catch Y/N watching a news report on the Lagos attack and how they blame him for it.

News Anchor #1: 11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred.

King T'Chaka: Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all.

News Anchor #1: The Wakanda king went on to-

Steve turns off the TV, but Steve can still hear it playing in another room.

News anchor #2: They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these.

Y/N is sitting on his bed, watching the news on his TV.

News Anchor #2 What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Y/N L/N have to operate in Nigeri-

The TV turns off. Steve sets the remote down and leans on the door frame as Wanda enters.

Y/N: I killed them. This is my fault.

Wanda: That's not true.

Y/N: Do I need to turn back on the TV?

Steve: I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it.

Wanda and Steve walk over.

Steve: Rumlow said "Bucky" and... All of a sudden, I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn.

They sit beside Y/N.

Steve: And people died. It's on me.

Wanda: It's on all of us.

Steve: This job... we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time... maybe nobody gets saved.

Y/N was about to say something when Vision materializes through the wall.

Y/N: Really, Vision?

Vision: Yes, but the door was open, so I assumed that...

He gestures at the door and stops.

Vision: Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving.

Steve: Thank you. We'll be right down.

Vision: I'll... use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest.

Steve: We know who it is?

Vision: The Secretary of State.

Y/N: Oh, great...

The Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross, is standing at the head of a table. Rhodey, Pietro, Natasha, Steve, Tony, Sam, Vision, Y/N, and Wanda are gathered around.

Secretary Ross: Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes".

Natasha: And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?

Secretary Ross: How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?