New Rules. 2

After four months of being in charge, I could finally see our changes. Down on the track, men were sweating as they ran laps. Retraining the pack warrior had pissed a lot of people off. If only they knew that was just the start. The fact it took me this long to implement a simple training program was an even bigger concern.

Our estate was stunning as I looked out over the grounds. Opposite this building, two tall multilevel buildings stood alongside each other. A sleek, one-level dining hall connected them. The hall also had open-plan entertainment and meeting areas.

To an onlooker, the estate was a five-star ski resort. It had all the chalets, villas, and large lodges hidden in the hills—the hills wrapped around the central living and training grounds.

Unfortunately, it had become a five-star resort for the entitled. No new blood stood a chance of getting ahead. My grandmother's infamous social committee was a tough hurdle. If you made it through that, you had to get past Garrick's finance committee.

Our pack, dating back over two hundred and fifty years, now had more 'non-producers' than any other. They lived like kings in villas on what we nicknamed Snob Hill or the Elders Quadrant.

My next issue was lone wolves, which has always been a hassle. They never fit in with a pack and only wanted the benefits of pack lands without following any rules. I despised the chaos and disruption they brought to our structure and hierarchy.

They were partly to blame for our current situation. The rogues would expand their power every year by taking over weaker territories. As predators, it was natural for us to fight and protect what was rightfully ours.

But this new fantasy of living in hippie communes like humans, free from pack life, directly conflicted with our world, laws, and instincts.

Lone wolves often tempt loyal pack members with promises of freedom from rank. But they soon realize how dangerous it is without the pack's protection. They always came crawling back, seeking safety and security.

"Having second thoughts about kicking the innocent off Estate lands".

My brother Guy leaned against the door frame, giving me a pointed look. His large frame dwarfed the oversized doorway. We were almost identical twins, just one year apart in age, but we held different opinions on this issue.

"They aren't innocent; they are lone wolves," I countered.

"I was talking about the latent shifters," he grumbled back. "Clara's plan is ridiculous. If it worked, we wouldn't have any latents left."

"We're not entirely kicking them out. They can live in town and work logistics for our company or other Estates. We'll protect them, but they can't stay here anymore. We could contract more enforcers to the government - humans love their wars, and there's money in it.

We had been away for six years, fighting in shifter units for the human special forces. My father had become too soft. He supported the Council and their requests for us to take in more displaced shifters. I wasn't running a charity as my father and his advisors appeared to think.

Guy took a seat across from my desk.

"Lucy has freaked out a lot of the new girls. Especially those who just discovered they are shifters but can't shift. Telling them they have to fight to earn a place or leave. Scaring them, even I have compassion for them. This is a whole new world for some of them."

Lucy's interference had become a constant issue. Though I haven't officially ended things with her, I haven't said no to her advances. Who would? She's stunning and incredible in bed.

I couldn't understand why I couldn't take the plunge and imprint on her like she had asked me to. Politically, physically, and sexually, she was perfect. Well, at least sexually, it used to be great. Lately, it took me longer to feel inspired by her. I blamed it on all the drinking I had been doing.

His Ghostजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें