Unexpected Encounter. 18

Erikas POV

Sitting across from Carter with his undivided attention felt far too intimate in this space. I regretted my move. I should have waited until tomorrow. But after talking with Greta and Monica. I suspected I didn't have time to spare. When I saw him walk into the bar earlier, it was almost serendipitous. Guy sat opposite, a slight smirk on his face. Whatever that was about.

"I wanted to talk to you about a young girl I have since found out is in the medical ward here. I want to speak with her. I would also like your assurance that she can stay here. She is the key to Monet's current situation and the attack on your pack.

The clink of ice in Carter's glass sounded loud in my head. The amusement in his eyes melted away like ice on a hot grill. Replaced by a deep and probing curiosity, he took a slow, contemplative sip of his whiskey. His gaze locked onto me with laser-like focus. Guy sat just as quietly and now far less amused with himself.

Max spoke up first; as usual, sex and honey oozed from his voice. Any woman would have to be dead not to be affected by Max.

"Sweetheart, you are just all work and no play."

"She is not your sweetheart."

Carter drawled casually, placing his glass on the timber table.

"Sweetheart", he winked to tell me he was entitled to call me that.

"It may be too late for that. Her Alpha from the Langston Estate over in County Macron called. She was one of a few girls kidnapped from his Estate in the same type of attack as ours. He will be here early tomorrow to pick her up."

I leaned in; his dismissive tone was pissing me off.

"First, I am no one's sweetheart, including yours. Second. I know she has not uttered a word since she arrived. So how does an Alpha three counties away call the very next day of the attack claiming her? You don't find that odd?"

He mimicked me back.

"First of all, You're right. You are not my sweetheart. What do you prefer, Babe, Honey, Baby Girl?" he smirked. "Second, the moment we found her, as is policy, an email went out with her photo to all the packs in Northern America. Letting them know she was here and safe if someone was looking for her".

I stared at him, speechless. I wasn't sure what to be more stunned about the fact shifters across the country risked exposure with emails like that. Or that the wolves would be so careless and stupid regarding the safety of this young girl. She could be on the run, and they just blasted her face all through the packs.

He leant back in his chair, seemingly content. I looked up at Guy, still watching me, with a mix of concern and curiosity in his eyes. His lips pursed, indicating he held back whatever thoughts were swirling in his mind.

"Are you okay?" Guy finally asked, "Erika, if you know something, tell us". He was so the better brother.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my anger. "No, I'm not okay," I replied, my voice shaky with rage. "You could have just put her in more danger."

Carter's expression softened, and he leaned in from his casually indifferent position on the high leather back. "I understand your concerns, Erika," he corrected himself with a sheepish smile. "But we have protocols in place for these situations. It's standard procedure to notify other packs when we find someone who might be missing."

I suddenly felt heady," I get that", I said through gritted teeth. I didn't, but that was a problem for another day. "But you are way off on this one. I need you to stop him from arriving and speak to her tonight".