Mine. 24

Carters POV

I was wrong again if I had thought things had hit rock bottom. This party was another nail in my coffin. But then I knew it would be. It was a planned, strategic move to shatter an already fragile situation.

Anton had barely attended parties in years. My Grandmother went to them, but she never hosted them. Every unmated female from the best families was here, all on the hunt. On top of that, my team had been invited, which had never happened in history.

Despite being high-ranking, Max and Niko's family despised the social hierarchy. So, their sons did, too. Their families were absent, but I made Max and Niko accept the invitation.

After the fight with Aiden, I called them after Dad texted me and said I needed a wingman for this. They told me they were officially invited via text as well. That was when I knew it was suspect as hell.

Everyone mingled in the garden was made to impress. Perfect for making deals and back-slapping beneath the stars and fairy lights. Servers glided through the crowd, offering canapes, cocktails and champagne. Heaters and open fires heated everyone from the slight chill; it set a lush tone.

"If I didn't hate your grandparents so much, this would have been fun, sure as fuck easy pickings," Max said as he watched the eye candy on offer that continued to circle us.

Niko complained, "Between the three of us, I'm pretty sure we've all tasted these pickings." Those were my thoughts exactly, and therein lies the problem.

We've messed around with half of the women here. I have not seen them in years, yet every girl we grew up with from all over the region was here tonight. Some of them made a beeline for Erika as soon as she arrived. My hearing homed in on the bullshit stories they spat at her. Then, they came to relentlessly pursue me, flaunting themselves with one eye on her.

All reliving stories from a lifetime ago about me or sharing some ridiculous college story: it was all said with giggles and jokes, but its intention hit the mark. I was creating more tension between us.

The moment I stepped through the door, I could tell what was happening, and Guy knew it, too. My mood had been so terrible all evening that he took it upon himself to handle my socialising. And so, I remained in the same spot all night with Max and Niko standing guard on either side.

The eye candy continued swarming around me, putting on a display for everyone here. I couldn't help but feel like an idiot being played. The room was full of fluttering lashes and coy smiles. Hands grazed chests, and words were whispered in ears.

There was lots of skin. Then Monica and Erika walked in, causing everything to reach its climax. They ramped it up. Everyone had one eye on Erika, like they waited for her to react. She was distant and seemed out of it. She was ignoring me, watching me from the garden's far side.

One Alpha after another, and all the old dogs wanted to meet her. She looked bored. Then I saw Old Alpha Phillip head over to her; he was a dirty fucking leach who chased young women. He had a particular liking for nobility. He bragged about being old and still managed to 'deflower' the daughters of the elite. Who the fuck says deflowered. I went to move to Erika when I saw Bo and Arne walk over to her.

I don't know why, but I froze. After that, no one bothered them. The Beck brothers seemed very happy entertaining and protecting them. I should have been doing that job. I was too worried if I did, I would expose Erika to more of this shit. Women talking to me about our past hookups in front of her. For fucks sake.

High-pitched chatter and giggling distracted me. My thoughts were interrupted by three girls from our college days. One was an Alpha's daughter from this town and her two best friends. I hadn't seen them in over six years.