37

I've tried calling Paige three times since I got home. She's not picking up. The last two went straight to voicemail. I've sent her two text messages, one asking her if she's okay and the other asking what my dad said to her. No response.

I heard my dad come in the house about an hour ago, so I know their conversation isn't what's holding her up.

I put my phone on my nightstand, giving up for the night. Maybe she just needs time. I've reached out to her and now it's her turn. Now we just wait.

It's 3 am and still no answer from Paige. I'm going to drive myself crazy if I don't go to sleep.

I decide to go downstairs and get some melatonin. I try to be as quiet as possible because of my dad is somehow still awake, I don't want to talk to him. I don't want to see him ever again.

I have class tomorrow morning, I need to go to sleep. I close all my curtains and turn off every night light, device, or anything that produces light. Except my phone, of course. I need my alarm to wake me up in the morning. I'm also holding onto the hope that Paige might call or text me back. The thought of driving to her apartment right now crosses my mind, but I don't want to bother her. She's probably asleep right now.

I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I feel like shit. I probably got one hour of sleep last night, or this morning rather. It was maybe around 6 am that I fell asleep.

I look at my phone, checking my notifications for anything from Paige. Nothing.

I force myself out of bed and go to the bathroom. I look at my reflection in the mirror. I look as bad as I feel. My dark under eyes stand out against my pale skin and my hair is a mess.

I brush my teeth, wash my face and comb my hair. I layer concealer under my eyes and apply blush to my cheeks.

I don't want to go to class.

Class drags on and on as my professor lectures. Normally I would be trying not to fall asleep, but today I'm far too anxious to snooze in class.

I'm staring at my professor, not listening to a word she's saying as my leg bounces restlessly when my phone lights up. Paige's contact covers my screen. She's calling me.

My heart leaps in my throat and I automatically grab my phone, get up and leaving the classroom without a word.

"Paige," I answer to phone the second I'm out of the classroom, "I've been so worried about you. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," she says, her voice sounding distant. She doesn't sound happy to hear my voice.

"I was just wondering if you could meet me somewhere today," she says, her voice is so sad and it's like she's trying to sound disinterested.

"Yes," I answer her immediately, "I need to see you. You sound so sad. Baby, don't lie to me. Are you ok-"

"How about the fountain by the English building at 2?" She interrupts me.

"Yeah. Yeah, that's good," I tell her, my voice gentle. She sounds bothered.

"Okay, bye," she says and I try to tell her to wait but she hangs up.

I feel no better than I did before the phone call. She did not sound okay. She didn't sound like she wanted to be talking to me, much less see me. I was disappointed when she said she wanted to meet up on campus and not at her apartment or a restaurant or a park. What was I expecting? A date?

Wait. Why can't she just wait to see me at PT today? Almost as if the universe heard my thought, I get a text from Steve.

Hey kid. I'm sorry you can't work with us anymore. It's been both mine and Laura's pleasure to have you around. You'll be a great physical therapist one day.