42

The door bell rings at about 2 pm. I was sleeping in quite late from jet lag so I leave my parents to get it. They don't sleep in past 10, no matter the circumstance.

It rings again and I'm about to get up when I hear someone finally open it. I'm getting ready to relax back in bed when I get stopped again.

"Y/n! Daisy's here!"

Oh no. I've been sort of isolating myself for the past few weeks and have basically been ghosting Daisy.  I haven't been answering her calls or texts or even watching the TikToks she send me. How lovely for her to show up at my house uninvited. This was inevitable though. She is my best friend after all.

I decide to not respond or get up. She can come up to my room.

About a minute later there is an urgent knock at my bedroom door. I sigh and get up to open my door.

"What's your deal?!" She gets straight to the point, storming into my room.

"Are you going through a life crisis or something?! I thought you were dead!"

Wow. She really doesn't know anything.

"Why haven't you answered my calls?! I haven't heard from you in, like, three weeks! And that's not even an exaggeration!"

"Daisy, calm down."

She's really starting to stress me out.

"I'll explain everything," I tell her, sitting down on my bed and patting the spot beside me.

Now that we're here, I'm kind of having a brain fart. I don't even know what to say. I guess I'll just cut the crap and tell her straight up.

"My dad found out about me and Paige," I tell her and she gasps.

"So he took your phone?" She asks. Now I feel like a jerk because I could've answered her, but I chose not to.

"No."

"Well what happened? How did he react?"

"He wasn't happy," I tell her. Not happy is an understatement.

"How is Paige?"

Ouch.

"That's the other thing," I sigh, "I wouldn't know because... she broke up with me."

Daisy gasps even louder this time before pulling me into a hug.

"Y/n, I'm so sorry."

This is just what I needed. I don't think I've had any physical contact with anyone since that night my dad caught me and Paige. I hug her back gratefully and squeeze my eyes shut as I feel tears prick them.

"She's a stupid bitch."

This is exactly why I've been putting off talking to Daisy.

"Please don't say that. She's not stupid or a bitch."

"She's both if she let you go," Daisy argues.

I know she's just trying to be supportive, but saying bad things about Paige just makes it worse.

"Can we talk about something else?" I ask her.

"Okay," she gives in, "how was the final four yesterday? Other than the fact we lost."

"It was entertaining," I tell her as I try to think of things that happened, "LSU is really good. Their star player is kind of a show off. Oh, and Caitlin Clark followed me on instagram. And Paige seemed kinda off. She wasn't as hyped up as us-"

"What?! Caitlin Clark followed you?! Girl! You're getting all the famous basketball women! They're basically falling in your lap! My dad needs to start coaching men's basketball."