Chapter 7

The Highland Games had begun with fervor and enthusiasm, echoing across the vast expanse of the Scottish Highlands. The clang of swords, the cheers of the crowd, and the music of bagpipes blended into a symphony of celebration. Clans, adorned in their distinctive tartans, gathered to showcase their strength and prowess, creating an atmosphere charged with the electric anticipation of competition.

The morning sun bathed the landscape in a golden glow as the games commenced. Caber tossing, archery, and various feats of strength unfolded throughout the day, each event contributing to the spectacle. Merida, perched on the edge of her seat, observed with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. The outcome of the Highland Games carried the weight of determining her future, and the responsibility pressed heavily on her shoulders.

Turning to her mother, Queen Elinor, Merida sought reassurance. "Mum, do you think Y/N can win?"

Elinor, her eyes fixed on the unfolding events, responded with confidence. "Fergus has trained him well. Y/N is a skilled swordsman, and I have faith in his abilities."

King Fergus, standing nearby, overheard their conversation and chimed in with a hearty grin. "Aye, I've trained him with all I've got. He'll be fine, lass."

As the day progressed, the highlight approached-the sword fighting tournament, the grand finale of the games. The crowd erupted in a thunderous cheer as the first match unfolded between Young Macintosh and Wee Dingwall. The clash was swift and decisive, with Macintosh emerging as the victorious combatant.

The anticipation heightened as the spotlight shifted to the much-anticipated match-Y/N versus Young MacGuffin. MacGuffin, a towering figure, loomed over Y/N, yet his eyes conveyed a kindness that defied his imposing stature. The battle raged on, and it became apparent that MacGuffin had the upper hand. However, something in Y/N's demeanor caught MacGuffin's attention.

" Ah hiv ye noo " declared MacGuffin. Y/N, undeterred, responded, "I can still pull through."

A pause ensued, and then MacGuffin expressed surprise. "Ye un'erstn me?"

Y/N, having mastered the dialects of the Highlands during his training, nodded. "Aye, I do."

A camaraderie emerged between the combatants, and a smile crept onto MacGuffin's face. "Ye re a guid bitcallant ah forfeit "

The crowd erupted in applause, appreciating the integrity displayed by the young MacGuffin. Y/N's demonstration of respect had not only won over MacGuffin but also endeared him to the onlookers.

The final round featured Y/N against Young Macintosh, a clash of finesse versus brute strength. The duel unfolded, each opponent pushing the other to their limits. The intensity of the battle held the spectators in suspense until, in the end, Y/N disarmed Macintosh, sending his sword clattering to the ground.

The crowd fell into a stunned silence, the gravity of the moment sinking in. However, the shock quickly transformed into a deafening cheer as the realization set in-Y/N had won the challenge, securing the title of victor.

With a triumphant grin, Y/N raised his sword high, his voice echoing through the cheers. "I challenge the notion of taking Merida's hand! Instead, I propose that she be free from betrothal!"

The declaration reverberated through the gathering, eliciting a mix of astonishment and defiance from the clans. Merida, overwhelmed with emotion, couldn't contain herself. She ran forward, her heart brimming with gratitude and admiration, planting a kiss on Y/N's cheek as a token of thanks.

The clans deliberated, their leaders engaged in fervent conversation. The tension in the air was palpable as the future of the kingdom hung in the balance.

After what felt like an eternity, Lord Macintosh stepped forward, his voice cutting through the deliberations. "Aye, let's put aside the old ways. The lass should be free."

The other clan leaders, one by one, nodded in agreement, acknowledging the wisdom in Macintosh's proposal. Unity, it seemed, was the path forward. The clans collectively decided to abandon their plans for war and embrace a new future.

Merida turned to Y/N, a smile of genuine happiness gracing her face. "We did it, Y/N. We changed the course of history."

Y/N met her gaze, his eyes reflecting a mixture of wonder and accomplishment. "Together, we've shown them a new way, Merida."

Fergus shouted from his throne "NOW, WE CELEBRATE!!!"