ice-skating

*ੈ✩‧₊˚ *ೃ༄

    "you ready, pretty girl?" matt asked as he finished tying the laces on your skates. you sigh, nerves settling deep in your stomach.

    "maybe i'll catch up with you guys later," you shrugged uncomfortably, "i'm not feeling too great right now."

    lies.

    matt's brows furrowed as he was kneeled in front of you. "are you okay?"

    you smiled at matt before replying. "yeah, i'm fine. i'll join you guys soon."

    another lie.

    "okay," matt smiled sympathetically as he stood up, planting a kiss to your forehead quickly. "let me know if you need anything."

    and with that, you were left alone. you sat uncomfortably on the bench, the leggings suddenly deemed as a bad choice on your end as you were currently freezing your ass off. you shivered with your skates on as you watched your boyfriend and his brothers flawlessly skate away on the ice.

    of course you had no intention of actually joining them later. at this point, you would do whatever you could to get out of stepping on that ice, and if that entailed over-dramatically pretending that you were coming down with a common flu, you were willing to play the part. ice-skating was not your thing. which was unfortunate for your part, because it surely was matt's thing. matt loved to be on the ice; he always talks about how much he misses playing hockey, and he is a natural in skates. even though chris and nick might argue otherwise, matt likes to brag about how good he was in hockey. you on the other hand? a total mess in skates. you took skating lessons when you were a kid, but you hadn't even touched- let alone go near- a pair of skates ever since then.

    about a week ago, matt had practically begged you to come ice-skating with him, nick, and chris, and you sincerely tried your absolute hardest to evade the situation. but clearly, your best wasn't enough, because here you were, sitting on the side of a skating rink in the freezing cold. you tried to sidetrack the conversation when matt brought it up, brushing it off like it was nothing, but matt was very persistent. he insisted on you coming, and no matter how many no's or maybe next time's you gave him he would not budge. and thus, eventually you caved, and you made matt the happiest person on the planet. it was hard to deny matt when he gave you those adorable puppy dog eyes; every single time without fail you caved.

    by now, ten- maybe fifteen- minutes had passed and your stomach churned as you observed matt heading back towards you. you sat up a little bit straighter, ready to put on the performance of your life.

    "hey," he was out of breath as he stepped off the ice, and the tips of his ears and nose were frostbitten from the cold. his cheeks were red hot, and you might've folded right then and there if you weren't so nervous. he was dressed in that black ransom hoodie he never took off, and a pair of black sweatpants to go with it. "you feeling any better?"

    you shrugged, avoiding eye contact with matt. you didn't realize how hard it was gonna be to lie to matt when he looked like that.

    "love- what's wrong?" his voice softened, and he sat down right beside you. sometimes you hated when he always, always, always noticed something deeper was going on below the surface. especially right now.

    "nothing!" you said, turning to look at him, and he gave you this look as if he could see right through the barrier you put up. matt was the only person that could do that; he was always aware when something was up. he was the only one that could tear down the walls you build consistently, which is one of the many factors that made him such a good boyfriend.