(midnight) kiss and makeup

*ੈ✩‧₊˚ *ೃ༄

"why do you look so sad?" your friend said. "you're at a party- have some fun!"

    it was new year's eve. the last day before 2024, and you were spending it getting drunk at a party, with most people you hadn't met before. you were wearing one of your favourite outfits- you always felt good in it, but not tonight. your friend had invited you, but all you wanted to do was be with matt right now. but that was extra hard when matt and you weren't exactly on speaking terms at the moment.

    earlier today, you and matt had gotten into a fight, and now you were irritated with him. matt had been stressed all week, and then to make matters worse, you had hung out with an old friend yesterday. he was an attractive friend, but god knows that you'd never, ever, ever betray matt like that. you were loyal, and matt knew that too, but he couldn't help but get jealous. and instead of using his words, he decided to just take it on you. and initially you were planning to spend new years with the triplets at their place and a few others, but you had gotten so angry with matt that on an irrational decision, you decided against that. hence, the party. you needed space away from matt right now, and you needed to get your mind off of the argument that had happened.

fair trade by drake was blasting in your ears as you navigated your way through the house. it was some frat party that your friend found out about, and clearly you didn't have enough drinks in your system, because you were very much not enjoying yourself.

"i just- i don't know, i'm kind of ready to go." you said, and your friend frowned.

"if you really want to go, i won't stop you. i know you want to make things up with matt. but it's almost midnight!" she said.

you hesitated. a huge part of you wanted to go home, make up with matt, and call it a night. but the other small, minuscule, itty bitty, microscopic part of you wanted to stay. you wanted to stay, have a few more drinks, and ring in the new year having a good time. but you knew that you couldn't have a good time without having a good conversation with matt to make things better. you sighed. "i don't know-"

"stay! stay, stay, stay- i can tell you want to. you can always make up with matt later." she said. and you sighed, caving.

"okay- okay, your right- i'll stay." you giggled. she cheered, and she handed you another drink.

you wish you hadn't agreed to stay. you wanted to go, because you really weren't having a good time, and this is not how you wanted to celebrate the new year. you couldn't get your mind off of matt. matt and that stupid argument you had gotten in with him. amidst the pulsating beats and boisterous laughter in the frat party, you were trying your hardest not to sulk in the corner. you surrounded yourself in the crowd, dancing to some rihanna song. but even still, matt's words from earlier today echoed in your ears more than you liked to admit. the scent of alcohol and pot lingered in the air, yet it couldn't mask the bitter taste of the argument that had soured your evening. as the crowd became louder, you found yourself a solitary figure, the smile you wore a mere facade. your thoughts were anchored to the distant memory of the altercation with matt.

you considered texting him. heavily. you considered calling, asking him to pick you up, so that you could kiss and makeup. and you would've, if someone hadn't called for your name.

"have you seen matt yet? he was looking for you." another one of your friends had told you this, and she was oblivious that you had no idea he was here.

"matt? as in- my matt?" you said, bewildered. he was here?

"yeah- i just saw him like, ten minutes ago. he was asking for you." she said, and your eyes widened.