11 ~ The Decision

Bondita sat on the couch with a thud. Her anger was bubbling. She was waiting for Chandrachur to come back. As soon as he came, her voice startled everyone.

"Darwaza ko band karke kundi laga dijiye, Jamai Babu."

"Bondita, listen-"

"SERIOUSLY? AISI MANUSHYA KO KAHA SE PAKAD KE LE AAYE THE AAP? BATAIYE?"

"Bondita, please. Woh mera dost hai."

"DON'T BONDITA ME. AREY AAPKA HI DOST HAI, DON'T YOU KNOW KI USKA SHAADI HO CHUKI HAI? DOSTI MEIN ITNA ANDHA HO GAYE HO AAP KI YOU'RE PROMOTING SECOND MARRIAGE JISKE KHILAAF I'M TRYING TO BRING A LAW!"

"Bondita, what are you saying?! She isn't his wife. Wives usually stay at home when a second marriage is announced for their husband-"

"YEH ATARKIK AUR NIRARTHAK GYAAN KAHA SE MILA AAPKO? AAPKE WOH DOST NE BAATA HOGA!"

"BONDITA! STOP YELLING. ITNA GUSSA EK AURAT KE LIYE ACCHA NHI HOTA HAI."

"ACCHA! AB AAP SIKHAYENGE MUJHE KI MERE LIYE KYA ACCHA HAI AUR KYA BURA? WAAH!"

"Pehle yeh batao ki tum mujhpe kyu gussa jata rahi ho?"

"GUSSA HOON AUR NIRAASH BHI! AREY US INSAAN KE MAA NE KITNA BURA BHALA KEH RAHI THI, AAPNE EK BAAR BHI UNKO NHI ROKA. KOI MUJHE APMAAN KARE, MUJHE FARK NHI PADTA HAI. FARK YEH PADTA HAI KI JO BHAI TUMHE APNE BEHEN KE RUP MEIN SWIKARA HAI, WAHI BHAI AAJ MOUN THA. MAI CHAHTHI THI KI AAP UNKO ROKENGE AUR UNHE NIKALNE KE LIYE BOLENGE. PAR NHI. ISLIYE, MAI YEH RISHTA KO INKAAR KARTI HU!"

Bondita turned and was about to leave, but Chandrachur's words stopped her.

"AREY, TUM AISE BAAT KAR RAHI HO JAISE UNHONE KUCH GALAT BOLA HAI? WOH LOG TOH SAHI THE! EK AURAT KABHI BHI PADH-LIKH NHI HO SAKTI HAI! AUR KAISE KAPDE PEHNE HO TUM? TUPUR KO DEKHO! AUR TUMHE DEKH! YEH PADHAYI-LIKHAYI KE CHAKKAR MEIN TUM-"

*SLAP* "CHANDRACHUR!" Kalindi bellowed.

Tears gathered in Bondita's eyes and without turning, she left.

Everyone else gave disappointed looks to Chandrachur and went away.

*

*

*

Kalindi summoned Prosenjit to her room as soon as everyone was out of earshot.

"Prosenjit, what do you think?"

He shook his head indicating a 'nope'. She nodded her head in understanding.

"Did you see that bastard's face when he saw Bondita? It was a predatory gaze he threw in her direction."

"But Bondita didn't show any signs of discomfort."

"That-that's another talent of hers. Hide her genuine feelings and go with the flow. She has done this ever since she sided with her brother."

Kalindi just hummed in response.

"Oh, you should've seen the murderous glance that Bondita threw at that guy. I was internally gloating."

"Accha? I'll make sure to notice her reaction from now on. And Sumati's expression somewhat gave me the ick." Kalindi stated.

"I'm suspecting some foul play here, Thaku Maa. Didn't you see how Chandrachur immediately jumped up with a proposal as soon as you stated your decision? Also, his face changed when you said that you'd decide who would marry Bondita."

Kalindi hummed in response. She was able to connect the dots as Prosenjit decoded the possible ploy underneath that man wanting to marry Bondita.

*