Break Out

The house was eerily silent as Allison, Derek, Stiles and Ellie made their way through its dark interior.

They moved cautiously. Derek expected an ambush at any moment. It was too easy. They had gotten out of that basement too easily. He knew Kate was planning something. He just wasn't quite sure what.

His arms tightened around Ellie briefly as they came to a stop on the front porch before he set her down on her own two feet.

Ellie let out a soft protest as Derek set her gently down on the front steps of the Hale house. She wanted nothing more than to sleep, but she knew she couldn't. Not yet. They needed to get to safety.

Her knees buckled and Derek's hands held her steady as his eyes darted around, looking for danger.

He passed Ellie over to Stiles slowly, waiting for the younger boy to have a firm hold of his mate before he let go and slowly made his way down the steps one at a time.

His bare feet met the dewy grass, and he tilted his head up to scent the air.

Ellie's voice, soft and eerie sounding made them all tense up. "Papa's close." She paused for a moment; her eyes glazed over. "We aren't alone."

Derek's body tensed even more, and he let his claws extend as he placed himself in front of their small group protectively.

Stiles looked down at his sister's face and frowned. Her eyes were darting around. Between the four of them, she was the one most on edge, which worried him further. Her eyes never settled on anything for long.

"Ellie?" He asked softly.

Her eyes finally settled on his and her lips parted. "Kaine... Have to... Save Kaine." She reached up to rub at her eyes. She was so tired.

The sound of a twig snapping had Derek on higher alert. He spun around quickly, shoving Stiles and Allison to the side, narrowly avoiding arrows in the process.

He swept Ellie up into his arms and cradled her close as he knelt with a growl.

Allison scrambled over to Stiles as an arrow flew past her face, barely dodging it in time. It nicked her cheek bone. A small trickle of blood began to seep to the surface of her skin and trickle down.

Kate was actually trying to kill her! Her own aunt!

"Cover your eyes!" Derek cried out but all too late.

The second those words left his lips; an arrow struck the earth before them. It had them all flinching away at the brightness as the flash arrow went off at Stiles' feet.

"Shit!" Stiles cries out as he backs into Allison, knocking them both sideways and to the ground.

Derek held one arm up to shield his eyes and felt Ellie bury her face into his shoulder.

Something large and heavy slammed into him, knocking Ellie from his arms.

Derek lashed out blindly, howling in pain as claws dug into his leg and side while razor sharp teeth clamped over his shoulder, ripping through his flesh.

Kaine.

Kaine shook Derek like a rag doll and flung him to the side and away from Ellie, tearing his thigh open viscously.

~~~~~~

Pain. Ellie was in excruciating pain.

One moment, she was clinging to Derek, and the next, she was rolling across the ground, an occurrence she had hoped to never experience again.

Her temple smacked into something hard as she rolled, and her vision swam.

Her back slammed into the base of a tree, halting her roll and stealing her breath from her lungs.