III

"Oh, you are coming to dinner" Aemond stood in the door, a little shocked to see the lady dressed and ready.

"The queen invited me, has she disinvited me, my prince?"

"No"

"Shame." She sighed sarcastically. She did not want to go to dinner, especially with Aegon and Aemond there. The company of Alicent and Helaena was pleasant, much like adding water to flames. The boys however, they bickered and as Aegon drank the more he got involved.

The two walked in silence down to dinner, sometimes they would both sneak small looks at each other but ultimately saying nothing.

They were all gathered at the table. Maellery took a glance, Aegon was already downing wine and Helaena was sat next to him. Opposite, 2 empty chairs, the rest of the table filled by the green queen and the Hand of the king. Maellery bowed before taking her seat beside aemond.

The rest of the table quickly jumped into conversation, Maellery sat staring at her plate. She was hungry, some would say starving as her stomach practically begged for one bite, but she did not have the energy to pick up her food.

She contemplated excusing herself from the table, slouching back to her chambers and rotting in her bed, answering to only the gods above. "It would be bad mannered" her mother would say but alas she was not there. She also thought about doing something drastic, like holding a knife against Aemonds throat, the guards would probably kill her right there and then, a promising thought.

"I heard you paid visit the people of Fleabottom" The hand asked, his voice immediately sending a shiver down the back of Maellery and pulling her out of her thoughts. She picked up a small piece of meat and she swore she heard her stomach cheer with victory.

"Yes, I was told about an orphanage a few moons back. I thought it would be nice if they spoke with someone who cared, Prince Aemond joined me" she said, not in spite to the people at the table but instead trying to get someone to care. None of them did, none of them acknowledged what Maellery had said.

"Maellery does a lot of work with the poor back in Braavos" Aemond stated, staring at the hand before eating a piece of meat from his place. She did not look at him, but she was appreciative of the fact he remembered what Maellery had shared with him.

"The lowest among us are no different to the highest, if you gave them a chance and approached them with compassion and a will to listen." Maellery stated, smiling at Alicent who returned it back to her. Alicent stared at Maellery intently, listening to her talk about the poor enticed something in her and she had thanked the gods that one of her children would be married to a kind soul.

"Have you heard what they have begun calling you" Aegon piped in, much to everyone dismay. His face full of arrogance that needed a good punch. Maellery briefly looked at Helaena who just sat staring at Aegon. "Sweet Mae" he laughed as he stated, Maellery looked down.

She hadn't been one to cower, often facing people's comments with a high head and a book full of false rumours but this time she had truly felt shame. Which she didn't understand, it was a silly nickname given to those who liked her. Why did she care what Aegon thought?

"You should hold your tongue when you are around my betrothed, dear brother" Aemond was now staring at Aegon with a bored expression on his face. "I would like to be called sweet Mae compared to the big drunk, though I think the queens disappoint suits you far more".

Alicent was now drinking her cup of wine rather quickly and the hand looked like he was about to get involved. Aegon only laughed further.

"A joke brother, I wonder what your nickname would be. The one-eyed cunt perhaps?" Both brothers were now full-blown arguing, Helaena and Alicent took no notice, like this was normal to them so Maellery did the same. After a few moments they both calmed down, returning to eating their dinner.