IV

The sept was unspeaking, the prayers of those present acting as a barrier for language to be spoke. Each pleading with the gods to supply them with their needs. Maellery sat, hands clasped together as if they would break at being pulled apart and eyes shut, forgetting the world around her. She prayed.

She prayed for eternal happiness although she knew the one thing that would provide her with that. She cried from her heart, no sounds exiting her lips. Her mother once again took over her mind, visuals of her begging on the floor, please God have mercy on her soul. Please God have mercy on Maellery's soul. Only then did she open her eyes.

Aemond knelt beside her, his one hand gently residing in the other. Maellery looked forward, her mother was still in front of her but fading, Maellery wished she could grab her, rocking her body and soothing her sorrows. She sighed.

She had never longed for anything as much as she did companionship. Longing was just an amorous label for Maellery's woeful state. Loneliness was such a feeling, she wanted to grab it by the neck and watch the life drain out of its eyes. She wanted to punish it for the lifetime it had been with her.

"What do you pray for, my prince?" She whispered.

"For you to perish before our wedding" He joked with her, smiling at his comment. His eyes still remained shut.

"That's funny, I have prayed for the same thing" They both laughed. They knew each other were joking. They had not yet reached the title of friends, yet the forced company had become more bearable as the days progressed.

The silence was most comfortable, each relaying their thoughts to the God's. He finally opened his eyes, taking the time to look at Maellery for a few seconds.

"You only call me Aemond when you are in need of something" he said breaking the silence, nonchalantly as if he wasn't bothered by the way his name had only left her lips few times. It was true of course, yesterday was a prime example of her view toward his name.

"I apologise if it has upset you. I do not know what you would like me to call you, my prince sounds suitable for most periods. Aemond slips out sometimes" She hummed softly and Aemond swore he could taste the honey when she spoke.

"I call you Maellery, you can call me Aemond hm?" He turned to look at her, the tear-stained cheeks that had not left his mind since the night, had faded, only memories of her state had remained in her eyes.

"Very well" She stood, ruffling her dress and fixing her skirts. "I am going to walk; would you care to join me Aemond?" He abruptly stood, this time waiting for her to begin walking before he cowered behind.

"Rhaenyra and her bastards are coming soon. Something has happened to Lord Corlys and they need to begin the fight for the heir to driftmark. The Lord's brother is also gracing us with his presence, fighting against Rhaenyra".

"They are the Lord Velaryon's children are they not, why are they considered bastards here? Is it because they are not pure Targaryen, do you think your children will be called bastards?" She looked up at him, she wore her relaxed face well, though you could tell the thoughts of disgrace found her mind.

"My nephews are Strong boys" Aemond replied, a hint of disgust plastered his words. Maellery knew what he meant. Harwin Strong, Rhaenyra's sworn protector after Cole had sworn to protect the queen of greens. Rumours often hung that Rhaenyra's children were born of sin.

"Our children will not be called bastards Maellery, I do not plan on bedding others. Do you?" Aemond watched as she stiffened slightly in the area of her shoulders before relaxing them, her whole body slouching a little.