IX

Maellery was in a much happier mood when he returned to the doorway, he parted with mere hours ago. There was now a musician in the room, playing a merry tune while the lady danced freely around her chamber. He stayed stood in the doorway, watching as she spun and laughed, joining hands with her ladies as she swung.

Her dress was different, her restrictive outfit before had been reduced to a corset, green of course, filled with details of flowers and vines. A sheer fabric covered her arms, and her skirt was ruffled from dancing. Aemond watched as she happily collapsed in a seat, huffing with breaths and taking notice of the prince.

"Hello my prince." She smiled; her breathing still is disarray. Her ladies were then touching up certain parts of her, the ruffled skirt, the necklaces that had landed on her shoulders rather than her chest, her hairs that stood. Her headpiece had then been placed on her head and Aemond cursed the ladies for it slightly being slanted.

She walked over to him, her arms crossing over her torso, confused as to why he was not leaving the room. He looked at her as she looked up and moved the headpiece to make sure it was centred; he looked after before nodding to himself.

The silence that followed them while they walked was comfortable and Maellery took the time to look at the corridors that she had been led down many times before. When they entered, each was sat at their place, Rhaenyra's family placed on the right, Alicent's on the left, joined together only by a single chair and the memories of the other plaguing their minds.

Aemond chose to conversate with his brother, Maellery with Helaena who shared joy about the dinner. When the King entered the hall, they all stood and made their way to their designated seats. He was being carried by his guards and was placed between his daughter and his wife, the very thing that brought them both down.

Aemond and Maellery took a seat, being tucked in by maids. Maellery took place in front of Helaena, beside Otto. Aemond was sat at the head of the table, opposite Luke. There was uncertainty in the room, no one interacted, choosing to fill their mouths with cups instead.

"How good it is, to see you all tonight." The King spoke, his voice sounding like it did earlier in the day, raspy and quiet. Maellery wondered if they should just take him back to his bed. "Together." Everyone in the room stayed quiet, choosing to look anywhere but the other side of the table.

Alicent's voice interrupted the silence. "Prayer before we begin?" It was aimed at the king as she looked upon him and Maellery was confused on whether the love they shared was an act or true.

"Yes"

Alicent, Aemond and Maellery each shut their eyes as Alicent spoke, clasping her hands together tightly Maellery took a breath.

"May the mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the smiths mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long, and to Vaemond Velaryon." Maellery hands grasped tighter, and her breathing stopped slightly. She opened her eyes, Aemond still in prayer. Daemon was looking around, forming words he never spoke and widening his eyes at the mention of the lord he took away.

Prayer ended and Aemond looked toward Maellery, her hands still clung together. He pushed her cup forward, returning a gaze to his mother and father. Only then did she allow her hands to part, washing down the wine.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems" The King spoke, Maellery returned her eyes to the King who seemed to be deteriorating every second in her presence. "My grandsons, Jace and Luke" Aemond looked at the brothers as Maellery did. Instead, they looking to their betrothed. "Will marry their cousins Baela and Rhaena."

Maellery was envious of the beautiful girls sat on the other side of the room. Though their marriage was not chosen, they would have sweet husbands to marry. Ones that would look for them, after them. She looked down at the table.