XVII

The hours passed swiftly, Maellery still sat amongst the dimmed candles under the watchful eye of the gods. A familiar sight had joined her, though he bore no sign of ever praying, he joined his lady in her silence.

"Princess" he began, Maellery could hear the tone of sadness that escaped from his tongue, she sighed trying to relieve some of the air that had become trapped in her chest.

She looked over, Tommen watching her gently, she had not realised it but his hands had placed themselves on hers, he smiled at her. For the first time, Maellery had pulled him toward her, feeling the touch of another since her husband had departed.

Tommen did not put up a fight instead hugging her back, allowing her face to bury into his shoulder. She did not weep or laugh or scream like Tommen had hoped, she remained in silence.

When the two pulled away, Maellery cupped his face lightly. The bond between the two grew stronger, it was hard to determine whether it was platonic or familial. Tommen could argue that Maellery was everything but his friend, taking the title of sister more to heart when he talked of her.

"If there's going to be a war, you will be sent to my mother. She will raise you into a fine gentlemen." Maellery sighed and only then did Tommen realise the heartbreak she must go through. They knew Rhaenyra would not give up her throne lightly, much to her right, especially when her beloved father fought so often to secure it.

Tommen did not argue, did not even mutter a single letter, just nodding. She lowered her lips to his head, Tommen had felt a familiar feeling only described as being loved, cared for, something he has not felt since his mother died.

"The prince has returned." He muttered, watching as the girls face did not light up, did not frown deeper or her eyes did not become enraged. She simply turned and stated one last line before standing and exiting the Sept.

May the gods have mercy on us all.

Her footsteps were quick, it took Tommen running beside her. When she barged into the great hall, there stood the dowager queen, the king and the hand. And Aemond.

He moved just as fast as Mae did, she made sure to check him over, no blood, no missing eye, just wet from the storms. His eye held something, satisfaction, happiness, something of that sort.

They stood together, yet none reached for the other. Aemond's sight on hers, Maellery's sight on the three others. Aegon was drunk, as always, the hand and the queen looked pale, ghostly.

"Mae, have you been in the sept this whole time?" Aemond asked, once again tucking a small strand behind her ear, it had come loose when she was walking but only he seemed to notice.

"What has happened? Why do they look like that?" she asked, it coming out as nothing but a whisper. Her eyes were darting between the two. Aemond looked toward his brother.

"He's finally done it Maellery!" Aegon gestured, him throwing his freshly filled cup upon the steps. She could almost hear the maids beside him give up.

"Done what? What have you done?" When she was met with silence, she looked at Aemond sternly, repeating what she said. "What have you done?!"

He tried to soothe her, grinning from ear to ear as he did. Maellery had never seen him so happy, watching as his tone changed. "He's killed the bastard. Rhaenyras, Vhagar ate him, his remaining parts in the sea." Aegon drunkenly slurred.

For a fraction of a moment, Maellery felt happy with his decision. She wished she were a bird, free to view Daemon's face when he was told of the news. Then it hit her, Rhaenyra. There was a lot you could say about the princess though bad mother was not one.