Chapter 5 Solidifying Our Agreement

Grace's P

Grace's P.O.V.

I sit in front of the mirror in a white wedding gown, getting ready for my marriage. The hairstylist finishes my hair, and the makeup artist puts the final touches on my face, and through a gesture of my hand, I ask them to leave.

As they exit, my childhood best friend, Elsa, steps inside. She lives in London and came to New York this morning after I informed her yesterday about my marriage contract with Steve Grey.

"Grace, why are you coming into this marriage contract?" She asks, marching towards me.

I explain, "You know, Elsa, I can't spend my entire life with one man, and I don't believe in forever and love. So I came with this plan for Dad's sake."

She shakes her head in disbelief. "You're unbelievable, Grace."

"And you know why did I choose Steve for this?" As I ask her with a smirk on my face, her eyes glint with curiosity.

"Is there any story behind this?"

I nod. "Yes, babes. Steve is my enemy. He insulted me in front of many people in the cafe. When I learned Dad chose him for me, I knew he would never agree to this marriage. So, I impressed his father with my kindness to win him over. Poor Steve had to agree to the deal in the end." I chuckle before adding, "I'll make his three months of marriage miserable. He messed up with the wrong girl."

Elsa looks at me with concern, her brows furrowing. "Grace, this is a dangerous game you're playing. What if things go too far?"

I shrug and adjust the veil on my head. "Elsa, I'm not worried. I know how to handle myself. Besides, Steve deserves to feel the consequences of his actions. He thought he could humiliate me and get away with it."

She looks at me with disappointment. "Grace, you're better than this. You don't have to stoop to this level."

I scoff at her words, not wanting to admit that deep down, I know she's right. "Elsa, I don't care about anything. I just want to teach him a lesson for insulting me."

She sighs, clearly unconvinced. "I just hope you know what you're getting yourself into, Grace. This contract marriage might end up hurting you more than you realize."

I wave her concerns away. "Elsa, I've made up my mind. This contract marriage is necessary."

As she watches me with worry, I take a deep breath and stand up from the makeup chair.

My father enters the room, and he becomes emotional, seeing me in wedding attire.

He walks over to me, tears welling up in his eyes.

"I can't believe my daughter is finally getting married. I know you're doing this for me, so thank you so much for giving your life a chance for my sake." As he expresses his feelings, cupping my face, I feel guilty for hurting his feelings.