Chapter 28 I'm your husband

The party venue looks so enchanting with the gentle glow of soft lights and the lively chatter of people.

Grace and I put on a facade, pretending to be a couple deeply in love, as per the expectations of my clients. She plays her part well, her smiles and gestures seemingly genuine.

Our act is convincing enough that even my clients, oblivious to the complexities of our relationship, buy into it.

As we walk through the crowd, Grace's hand fits seamlessly into mine, the touch sending unexpected shivers down my spine. This woman is the only one who makes me feel like this.

I wish we would be a really happily married couple.

Her acting skills surprise me as she effortlessly engages in conversations, laughs at the right moments, and even rests her hand on my arm when required. It's an act, but to the onlookers, we appear to be the picture-perfect couple.

We approach a group of clients, and one of them begins the conversation, "Steve, Grace, you two make such a stunning couple! How long have you been married?"

She flashes a smile. "Oh, it feels like a lifetime, doesn't it, Steve?" She shifts her gaze to me.

I nod, playing along. "Yes, time flies when you're in good company." I take her hand and place a kiss on her knuckles, causing her brows to raise slightly in surprise.

"And how did you two meet?" The client's wife enquires with curiosity, catching our attention.

I can never take that night out of my mind when we met for the first time. It was magical and special to me.

"Well, it was fate. Our paths crossed, and we just knew." She answers with a playful glint in her eyes.

I chuckle. "Yes, sometimes life surprises you in the most unexpected ways."

"To love and happiness!" The client raises a toast.

We clink our glasses, and I exchange a subtle glance with Grace.

****

When we are going back home from the party, I steer the car towards the beach, seeking a moment of solace. Grace looks out of the window with a hint of irritation.

"Steve, why are we stopping here? I can't deal with sand ruining my heels." She complains, crossing her arms.

"I just need some fresh air, Grace. The beach is the perfect place for it. Just take off your heels."

"Fine." She rolls her eyes but complies, reluctantly kicking off her heels.

As we step onto the cool sand, the night breeze touches our faces.

We silently walk along the shore, barefoot in the sand, the moonlight casting a glow on the water. The gentle waves touching our feet and their rhythmic sound is making me feel peaceful.

I speak up, breaking the silence that has hung between us for so long. "You know, since childhood, I come here to clear my mind. This place is my favourite."

She looks around, taking in the tranquil scene. "Yup, it's quite a peaceful place."

"It's amazing how the sound of the waves and the cool breeze can just wash away the chaos, even if it's just for a little while," I utter, glancing out at the waves.

She responds, "I never really thought about it that way."

"Do you have a place like this? Somewhere you go when you need to clear your mind?" As I ask, my eyes glint with curiosity.

She pauses for a moment before responding, "Not really."

The revelation surprises me. "Never had a favourite spot or a place that felt like home?"