✰ 47: fulcrum

"You decided to leave us with the easy job, huh?"

"A simple thank you would suffice."

"What do you want me to say?" she shrugged.  "'Oh, General Skywalker, thank you for saving us from that reckless battle with your unconventional methods,'" she mimicked, her voice high. "'You're my savior.'"

"Yeah, I don't mind that."

Akya hit her husband lightly on the shoulder, and he just laughed.  They watched the clones rush toward the droids, who, without a tactical commander, were suffering greatly.  The 501st had just flown overhead and bombed most of their troops, leaving their lines open for the 212th to rush in and begin the ground attack.  They had caught the droids by surprise only thanks to Anakin, whose methods of false surrender had brought success once again.

As Obi-Wan walked up to them, a small beep sounded from Anakin's comm.  He picked up the call with, "Skywalker here.  What is it, Admiral?"  The three Jedi began walking away from the direction the clones were running so that they could hear easier.

"Sir, we've received a transmission from someone using your subspace frequency 'Fulcrum.'"

Obi-Wan and Anakin looked at each other.  "Saw Gerrera?" Anakin suggested.

Obi-Wan put his hand to his chin.  "Perhaps the siege at Onderon has taken a turn for the worse."

"No, sir, it's not Gerrera," Admiral Yularen's voice chimed in.  All three of them looked at the comm, confused.  "You had best take this transmission here on the ship.  All of you."

The three Jedi boarded a shuttle which took them back up to their cruiser, then made their way to the communications room, where a large holo-table resided.  Any transmissions sent would be life-size. 

"Alright, Admiral," said Anakin, walking through the blast doors, Obi-Wan and Akya trailing behind him. "What's so important that you brought us all the way back... here."  Anakin's voice trailed off and his eyes widened when he saw the back of a young Togruta, taller than he remembered. But he knew who she was.

Ahsoka.

Admiral Yularen stood tall in front of the transmission, nodding at something that was previously said. Next to Ahsoka stood a Mandalorian clad in royal blue and donning a symbol of Clan Kryze.  When Ahsoka heard her master's voice, she slowly turned around, but did not show any sign of emotion.  Akya, Obi-Wan, and Anakin's eyes stayed wide in surprise.  Akya hadn't been expecting to see her again.

"Hello, Master," said Ahsoka, crossing her arms.  "It's been a while."

Obi-Wan and Akya glanced at each other as Anakin continued staring at his former Padawan, the blue light from the transmission reflecting in his eyes. He took a moment before speaking, and even then, he stuttered.

"Ah—" A pause. "Ahsoka.  Wha—" He chuckled, a grin making its way onto his face.  "I don't believe it.  How are you? Where are you? Are— Are you okay?"  His words came out quickly.

"I'm alright.  Thank you," she nodded. "I wish we had more time to talk, but I have urgent information for all of you."  Her eyes panned the three Jedi standing in front of her. 

"What is it, Ahsoka?" Obi-Wan asked.

She looked at the Mandalorian beside her, who crossed her arms.  "Lady Bo-Katan and I have located the renegade Sith Lord Maul," she said. "And if we move swiftly, we believe we can capture him."

Obi-Wan looked at Anakin, and then at his Padawan.

Maul.

— ★ ✰ ☆ —

Ahsoka was to meet them on their ship to discuss more easily what she needed for her quest, especially since capturing, even killing Maul wasn't an easy feat.  There was also further talk to be done about taking back Mandalore, which Maul had current control over after the death of Duchess Satine. 

"It all makes sense now," said Anakin, as they walked through the hangar in preparation to greet Ahsoka.  "If Ahsoka hadn't left the Order, then she wouldn't have been where she needed to be."  He tried to put sense to it all, to make some reasoning out of the reasons Ahsoka had left the Order.  He didn't want to accept that she had done it because she needed to, that it wasn't about anything else but being away from the Order.  He didn't seem to understand why she would want to leave. 

"That's one way to look at it, I suppose," said Obi-Wan. 

Anakin scrunched his brows in frustration and ran in front of Obi-Wan, then turned to face him.  He and Akya stopped walking.  "It's the only way to look at it," he said.  "We're gonna capture Maul, finally. I thought you would be more excited about this." 

Akya looked at her master, who stepped around Anakin.  "I am cautiously optimistic," he said, continuing to walk away.

Anakin and Akya glanced at each other, and Akya shrugged.  The pair then looked up to find a Mandalorian ship approaching their cruiser, its wings rotating in preparation to land.  Once it was stationed inside the hangar, the ramp opened, and Ahsoka stepped out of it.  R2-D2, who had come in beside them, beeped happily, then rolled up to where Ahsoka stood at the end of the ramp.  She smiled, then put her hand on the droid's head.  Four Mandalorians stepped out behind the her, led by Bo-Katan.

The Togruta walked up to where her master stood, smiling at her. "Ahsoka, I'm so glad—"

He was cut off by Ahsoka, who raised a hand.  "We'll have to catch up another time," she said seriously. Anakin's smile faded away.  "Things are moving quickly."

Bo-Katan stepped up to the three Jedi.  "Every minute we waste here gives Maul and opportunity to slip away," she said ominously.  Her voice was deep and smooth, and her tone threatening. She knew very well the Jedi couldn't let that happen.

"We understand," said Obi-Wan.  "Please, follow me."

a.n.:

AHSOKA!!!!

yeah, i know. revenge of the sith hasn't technically started yet. but in Star Wars time, it starts in a couple hours, and what they're doing here leads directly into it. so i put this part in this section instead of the last one. I had to do the lead up,

first revenge of the sith chapter tho!! I am so excited to share this part of the book with you.

don't forget to vote!

Molly