Chapter Three - Being a child has its limits

It was a cold autumn day when my brother was born. He was healthy and my mother had no complications, but it took longer than normal for her to fully recover, so my parents made a conscious decision not to have any more kids.

„We already have two healthy and beautiful children. Thank you for bringing them into this world, now you just need to be happy with us." That's what my father said to convince her. Aristocratic families usually wanted as many children as possible, because you never know when one or two would die of some disease and an heir was very important to them. Although my mother only wanted to have a big family. „I would be happy to have as many children as you wanted, but your health is more important. Please, the kids and I would be heartbroken if anything happened to you." My father knelt by her bed and squeezed her hand. I stopped in front of my brother's crib and looked at his sleeping face.

„I understand, but... I need some time." She closed her eyes. She was exhausted and had just received bad news.

„Rest well, my love." He stood up, kissed her forehead and then came to me. He picked me up and we left her and the baby to the servants.

The next month was not easy. My mother was almost always sad and my father seemed troubled, struggling to find a way to bring back her smile. I could understand their feelings, so I wanted to do something but I was at a loss. If my mother was suffering from postpartum depression then there was nothing I could do and I didn't even have the internet to find a solution.

What could a 4-year-old child do? Not much. I thought about drawing something, but with these little hands, it was impossible to do anything recognizable. I wanted to draw her favourite flowers because they were out of season but... I could pick some even if they weren't her favourites. She always smiled a little when Father brought her some because he chose them personally. Even if I had a way to buy something expensive, it wouldn't mean anything because she could buy it for herself, but if I picked some flowers... She will know I was thinking about her.

So carefully avoiding the maid's eyes I sneaked out of my room, but on my way to the garden, I was sidetracked by my baby brother. He wasn't crying but he was whimpering like an abandoned puppy, so I went over to his crib.

„I am sorry, Rihian. Are you lonely? Just give Mom some time and she will shower you with love." There was a little step next to his cradle for me, so I could see him whenever I wanted. I climbed up and patted his head.

The first moment I saw him, he became the apple of my eyes. He was such an adorable and good kid. He hardly cried and was not fussy at all, unlike me as a baby. I was proud of him. He inherited our mother's violet locks and our father's blue eyes, although this was rarely seen because he was mostly asleep.

„She is a little sad these days but will get better with time. We have to believe in her. I will come back later." But as I pulled my hand back, he started crying, so I caressed his lovely head again. „I don't want to leave you, but I have a mission." Or maybe? I was only 4 years old but I was not weak. I could carry him without a problem. I usually didn't because my parents and the maids always looked at me worriedly, what would happen if I dropped him. But I was sure I wouldn't. „Do you want to come with me? Our first adventure!"

I carefully took him in my arms and headed towards the garden. I thought everything would go according to my plan. He wasn't heavy but over time it got harder to carry him and the garden was further away than I remembered. Maybe it was because my father usually brought me himself and with his long legs he made it look like something close. But I wasn't ready to give up. I just needed some rest.

I sat down under a tree with Rihian on my lap. I stroked his hair as I sang him a song from my past life.

„Do you like it? Sometimes I want to sing my favourite songs, but people would look at me strangely so I can't. But you're not going to tell anyone, are you?" I bumped his nose with my finger and he laughed at me. „Now, let's continue our journey." I told him after a while, then I got up and went on.