Chapter Seven - An encounter with an adorable little bunny

I left the house in the middle of the night. No, I didn't climb out of the window, I used the backdoor. I only took the bare necessities with me like my sword and some money. I was sneaking out I couldn't bring a suitcase or something. I had money so I could buy clothes if I needed them. No, I wasn't planning to flaunt it, I am not stupid. I hid it in several pouches and put them in different places in my clothes.

Yes, I was and still wearing man clothes but I never intended to crossdress. I mean, I thought about it, but in the end, I don't think it would have worked out anyway. No one would have thought I was a boy even if I tried my best. No, I am not bragging about my looks, it's a fact. I am my mother's daughter, of course, I inherited her beauty.

So yeah, I left at night hoping no one would notice me. My attempt was successful but after standing outside our mansion, in the forest another problem greeted me. Where to go? I studied geography so I knew what was in which direction but still. Our kingdom was the Hestaroth Empire and we had two neighboring countries. Aracia was one of them and the other was Bermilian. Eventually, I was prepared to go with either of them, but which one?

Bermilillian was the country that colluded with the previous princess and sent troops to invade us so they were not too sympathetic. They had wizards so the probability that they could help was higher still... My feelings told me to go towards Aracia.

Yeah. I had nothing but a hunch. I am not saying they are always right, but even when I was wrong it turned out fine so I wasn't afraid. And I had nothing to rely on anyway so I just went south.

Was I scared? Yes, of course. I led a regular life before my reincarnation but I was a sheltered, precious young lady of a wealthy family so I wasn't used to being alone, especially not at night, in a dark forest. Every little noise made me terrified and I saw monsters and wild animals behind every tree. My nerves were frayed when I reached the first little town and I was close to passing out because of exhaustion.

Thankfully they had a little inn with clean rooms. I was used to receiving attention and respect just because I was my parent's daughter but no one really cared about me there. At first it was weird too. I never misused it but took advantage of people's goodwill towards me in small ways so it was a bit of a new feeling that no one knew who I was. It was a certain kind of freedom as well. I didn't have to act like a proper lady all the time, I could be just a young girl. I didn't have to be afraid that with a wrong move or word, I could hurt my family's reputation. My parents didn't care about it much but I was proud of it and would never want to cause any harm.

After I got a good night's sleep, I asked around a bit in the town, if they knew any good doctor in the territory. They couldn't give me any useful information but told me to try my luck in the biggest city where the lord resided. His daughter was often sick so he employed a lot of doctors.

I didn't feel like walking so I waited a day for the mail coach. I wanted to hurry as much as possible but even if I went on foot I would get there later than by carriage, I wanted to preserve my strength because I never know when something unexpected would happen.

The journey was uneventful, my travel companion weren't interested in each other, and everyone minded their own business. I arrived safely and got a room in another inn. But I had no idea how to get close to the lord. I could reveal my identity and get an audience but then I have to explain why I am interested in doctors and I don't want that. And I am sure my mother sent out our knight for me so it would be easier to find me. I needed to find another way.

I could try to be employed but then it would be a little suspicious if I quit too suddenly. I walked aimlessly into the city thinking what to do when I bumped into someone.

The impact made me recoil and she couldn't keep her balance either, so I tried to catch her but didn't manage so she ended on her backside. I reached out to her.