Chapter Six - The project to save Father begins

A few days passed but my father's condition didn't improve. On the contrary, it became worse. At first, he couldn't move the toes on his left leg and then slowly this numbness started to spread. At the moment he couldn't move his left leg under his knee. He said it didn't hurt, he just couldn't feel anything. 

Our family doctor wasn't able to find a solution, not even after consulting the best professionals in our country. He was concerned that if this numbness spread up and reached his lungs he would stop breathing.

I could see the growing fear day after day in my mother's eyes even if she tried to act as if everything would turn out just fine. My dad was working from bed, but mom insisted on him resting more, so she took some of his work and when a personal meeting was necessary she was the one who went. The seriousness of the head of the family's condition was secret, we told everyone that he overworked himself and caught a cold, and that's all. Of course, we couldn't keep up this lie for too long, but... No one knew what to do.

My brother's cheerful personality seemed to fade. He tried to be more helpful and smiled less. He was a good kid, so he tried to help out as much as possible and pretend to be strong but the shadows grew darker in his eyes. It was a heartbreaking sight.

Our house's good atmosphere changed and even the servants became gloomy. I appreciated their concern but even worrying about their feelings was burdensome. I tried to substitute for my mother at her work but I knew if we continued this our family would collapse.

This was a fantasy world, there was no way that there was no solution. We had nonsense like the pope, saintess, magical swordsmen and wizards. Seriously, everything. My father was a regular swordsman and he was incredibly strong. Our country dominated in war thanks to our military might and advances, but in other countries, wizards and magical swordsmen using aura were pretty common. Of course, their numbers weren't too high, otherwise, they would probably have invaded us a long time ago. But there was a chance they knew this kind of sickness and if not, then they may still be able to help us somehow.

One thing was sure, sitting at home won't accomplish anything. If there was no cure in our domain, in our country then someone has to go further and investigate. My mom couldn't go as she was acting in my father's place and Rihian was too young. So I was the one who could do it.

When my mother was out on some business I took my brother and dragged him somewhere where no one could see or hear us.

„Rihian, be strong and take care of your father and mother." I put my hand on his shoulder and looked deeply into his eyes. It was really hard to find the words.

„What do you mean?" He looked confused.

„I will find medicine for father so I will be away for a while. I don't know how much it will take but...." I was searching for the right words.

„I'll go!" He interrupted me, overcome by emotions. „It's better if I go." He said more quietly but with determination.

„No." I patted his head but I was firm. „You are stronger than me, that's true, but you're younger as well. I am not looking down at you, I know how smart you are, but you're still inexperienced.„ I have more life experience if we count my previous life as well. „And you are the heir, you have to be present if the worst happens." I squeezed his shoulder as I fought back my tears at the thought. „Don't worry, I have plenty of money so I can hire bodyguards if it's necessary." I tried to reassure him.

„Are you sure?" He had his doubts. „I don't think mother will approve."

„Me neither, so we won't tell her in advance."

„She will be so angry." He shuddered.

„I know." I sighed. „But it's worth it if I can save father.

„Are you sure you will find something?"

„I have to try. This world is vast and full of possibilities there is no way there isn't anyone who can heal him. I will be back as soon as possible just hold on. I promise to find a way, Rihian. Our family will be bright and sunny again, just give me some time."

„I trust in you sister and I will protect our family till you are away." Determination burnt in his eyes as he looked up at me. I am so sorry to put such burdens on your shoulders at such a young age but thank you. Thank you, Rihian.