Chapter Sixteen - You're still you and I'm still me

I pushed Aprudeé aside and took out my hidden dagger from my breast pocket in a split second. I dodged the attack and as its head hit the tree I rolled away under it. The next moment I found myself behind someone's back. Eiran stood in front of me and faced the wolf as Ryenne pushed Aprudeé behind him. Then, to my surprise, he came forward and looked into the eyes of the beast.

„Go on your way, we don't want to hurt you." He said clearly, in a hypnotizing tone. „Go!" His voice became a little stronger and more determined, and the wolf ran away.

„Wow!" Eiran expressed my opinion as well. „I didn't expect that."

„My mother was a high-ranking elf so I inherited her ability to speak and influence animals." He explained it to us. „I don't like using it, but I didn't want Aprudeé to witness bloodshed."

„It's an amazing ability." I tried to praise him.

„You were great, Ryenne!" She threw herself at him and he sheepishly backed away.

After calming down, Eiran lit the fire and set about preparing dinner. He caught two rabbits, and with the fruit Ryenne collected we will have a decent meal. I tried to be helpful, but my mind was full of the phantom voice I heard. Only one person would call me in that voice, but I couldn't ask him because we weren't alone. Or was it just my imagination?

Eiran reminded me so much of him that I was hallucinating to save myself the heartache. Will he look at me weirdly if I bring it up? Maybe he calls me crazy. Should I even risk it?

What if I was mistaken? Perhaps some system sent me here and it was some kind of warning.

I wanted to call out to him but I couldn't remember his name. Nor his face. As I got older, I remembered less and less. I couldn't remember specific things and there were words I couldn't even say out loud. Maybe as I get more and more used to this world, my connection with the previous one weakened, or I don't know. But it was getting harder and harder to remember anything clearly.

Still, I couldn't just give up. I continued to call out to him, with my soul to his. Even if our bodies, looks and circumstances have changed I believed our souls remained the same. But he never looked back at me, no matter how many times I tried, he simply concentrated on his duties. Disheartened, I slumped back to the ground.

„Are you alright?" Aprudeé sat down next to me, her face was full of concern.

„Oh, I am fine. What about you? Sorry for pushing you too hard."

„You saved my life. I should have said thank you earlier, but I wanted to reassure Ryenne." She stole a glance at him. He helped prepare dinner.

„Was he upset?" He always had an expressionless face so it was very hard to tell.

„He doesn't like to use his powers because it makes him feel very different from humans. He hates being born an elf. Well, half-elf." Oh!

„Are you sure you can tell me that?" I didn't want to create tension between them. Aprudeé seemed to really like him and I think he needs her.

„Ryenne is a very honest boy. He would tell you anything if you asked without blinking."

„He doesn't seem like someone who likes to talk." She just laughed.

„He is just awkward and afraid to say anything that makes you hate him. But he answers the questions well. I felt like I was interrogating him the first time I spoke to him. I think he would be happy if you started a conversation with him. Although my brother might be jealous." She gave me a mischievous smile and then ran off to Ryenne's side. This girl... I like her.

The dinner was uneventful. Perhaps because everyone was tired after the long walk, we just ate in silence. After we finished our meal, Eiran gave us a cloak to keep us warm and we went to sleep.

But I couldn't fall asleep, my mind was full of many thoughts. I wasn't alone, but I felt very lonely out in the open, under the endless sky. I missed my family and I was worried about my father, and even the beautiful stars couldn't ease these feelings. And I just kept thinking about what happened earlier.

It was such a soul-piercing experience. How could it be just my imagination? I heard him call out to me and I desperately wanted to reach out and grab it. But how do you grab something without a body? I couldn't just stay still, so I carefully stood up and went on a walk in the forest.

I knew it was dangerous, but I brought my sword and didn't go far. I need to move my body when I feel this tense to feel better. I practised a bit with my sword.

„Couldn't sleep?" My heart stopped for a moment at the sudden sound. I recognized it immediately, without even turning around. When did it become as familiar as my family's? It was as if he had always been with me.

„Not really." I didn't want to look at him. I was afraid my resolve would weaken and I would start to question him. I did not want him to look at me like I was crazy and I was scared I would lose all hope. If I don't confront him, I can believe it's him. But no! It would be so unfair to him. I looked at him. The moonlight illuminated him, making him look like some otherwordly creature, distant and untouchable.

„Earlier..." We both spoke at the same time and realizing this, we both fell silent. „Yes?" He looked at me expectantly.

„No, you can go first." Because after I say what I want, you may not even want to talk to me anymore.

„Well...." He scratched his head awkwardly. It gave me deja vu. And the next moment, I heard someone calling me the same way as before. Is it you?

„You..." I stared at him in disbelief.

„Yes, it's me. I've been looking for you everywhere." His smile trembled.

„How is it possible?" I took a step closer.

„I have no idea and I don't care. I am just glad that I can see you again.„ He also stepped forward and then only an inch separated us. I wanted to, but I was afraid to touch him. What if it's just a dream and he disappears when I touch him?

„Eiran..." That was the only name I could call him now. But the name doesn't matter as long as the soul is the same.

„Lirietta." His voice was full of emotions. He cupped my face in his palms and rested his forehead against mine. „I missed you."

„Yes... Me too."