Anything but that

The sun is rising, but it wasn't a good day.

I fall to pieces

Branch sat at the edge of the rafy, and turned to look at Poppy, who was steering the ship but still thinking about what Biggie said. Hickory was playing a ukelele and singing, and Zara was studying the saxophone she stole from Chaz.

Then Zara looked over at Poppy, and remembered Poppy and Branch's conversation before Chaz appeared. So, Zara stood up, kept the clarinet in her hair, and walked over to Poppy.

"Hey, Popstar?"

Zara said, snapping Poppy out of her thoughts.

"Oh! Uh... hi, Zara.."

Poppy said, seeming a bit startled at first, but calmed down and looked at the river path again.

"Are you... feeling ok?"

Zara asked, sitting at the edge of the steering deck near Poppy.

"Yeah.. of course, why wouldn't I be.."

Poppy said, sighing. Zara knew that wasn't the truth, but she didn't press the topic any further.

"I.. heard your conversation with Branch. Before Chaz appeared?"

Zara said, looking over at the river.

"Oh... right, I forgot you were there."

Poppy said, her focus on the river. Usually she'd be so cheery, but now she sounded more... sad.

"Well... I just wanted to talk to you about it."

Zara said, standing up and turning to Poppy, who finally took her eyes off the river.

"Mhm..?"

Poppy hummed, looking back at Zara, who completely forgot what she was gonna say.

"Ok... so.. I know you're a little... what's the word, concerned that Branch doesn't trust people easily, like Hickory."

Zara said, pausing here and there to think about her words.

"But... Branch is just.. a naturally skeptical person, he doesn't trust people that easily. The only ones he fully trusts would be.. the both of us. So, cut him slack. He just wants to keep us safe. He doesn't think you're a bad queen, you're just precious to him."

Zara said, hesitating a bit. This made Poppy think for a while, as she turned to the river again. That is, until she saw something in a distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little earlier...

How can I be...

Branch groaned, falling on his back.

...just your friend?

Branch looked up at the sky, until Hickory looked down at him.