Chapter 5

I felt like throwing up everything was happening so quickly it seemed as if there was something one after another that I had to wrap my head around or try to figure out why this was all happening.

I froze in the hallway not daring to go any further, not daring to take any more steps away from people, terrified of being alone and what would happen.

I heard a series of footsteps suddenly approaching, I could feel my fists clenching beside me, my heart accelerating as the footsteps grew closer and closer, terrified that it might be The Phantom here to take me away again.

I let out a gasp as someone grabbed my shoulder, turning sharply around only to see, to my relief that it was Raoul.

"Christine, are you all right?" He asked me gently as he tried to take my hands into his.

I folded my arms across my chest dodging his hands, but longing to hold them, knowing I couldn't, not with those eyes that I know to be lurking in the shadows watching me. I wanted to tell him the truth, more than anything but I was frightened of it, terrified that The Phantom would hurt him, and I couldn't have my actions be the cause of that.

I shook my head.

"I'm not, Raoul."

I turned away from him, feeling tears of terror overflow my eyes.

"Something's frightened you hasn't it, why don't you tell me what happened, where you disappeared to last night?"

I felt like I was about to explode the pressure of the terror that filled my body making me shake, the overwhelming amount of tears filling my eyes, streaming down my face.

"I'm so frightened."

I buried my face into my hands and I felt him gently touch my shoulder.

"Christine you can tell me anything, I promise I'll try to understand."

I rubbed my eyes of the tears, trying desperately to compose myself so that I could have hope of avoiding discussing this, no matter how much it hurt me to keep this a secret from him I knew I had to for his safety.

"Raoul, do you remember those picnics we used to have in the attic when we were little?" I asked him with a soft smile as I looked at him.

Raoul smiled back at me.

"How could I forget, and those heart chocolates."

"How you could hear my Father playing the violin," I added, feeling the emotion of nostalgia replace the fear that had been overflowing my mind as I remembered those times I and Raoul spent together.

"Yes, your Father was a great violinist, there was no other musician like him, still no other for that matter." He told me.

"Yes, he was, I wish I was still able to hear him play the violin, I wish desperately that I could have his voice guiding me, I miss him so," I said, feeling the sadness start to replace the nostalgic feeling as I stared at the floor.

Raoul lifted my chin with his hand, forcing me to look up into his soft blue eyes.

"You may not have your Father, but you have me and I will do anything in my power to help you, Christine."

He traced his fingers against my face, cupping my cheek into his hands and I knew what was about to happen as he pulled me close. I quickly backed away, the fear resurfacing and I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, Raoul."

I swiftly walked away from him not bearing to see the amount of hurt and confusion that would be in his eyes.

That night as I was in my dressing room getting ready for the show my eyes looked around, knowing that something was going to happen, The Phantom was not one for being content with his demands being ignored. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, half expecting the masked face I had seen last night to appear, but to my relief, it was only my own face staring back at me.

I heard a knock on my door and the voice of the director calling, "Miss Daaé, you are on in 5 minutes!"

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for whatever might happen tonight but regardless of it, I knew I had to step out onto that stage.

I stepped out onto the stage acting my heart out as Carlotta was singing.

"Serafimo, away with this pretense, you cannot speak, but kiss me in my husband's absence!"

I leaned over, preparing to go in for a fake kiss and Carlotta lifted the fan to hide our faces.

"Little bitch," she sneered at me before slipping back into the act.

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh! Hahahahahaha... Time I tried to get a better half!"

Then we were all singing and I could feel my eyes go up to box five and to my surprise, for the first time in years it was occupied by someone else, an old couple.

"Poor fool, he doesn't know! Hohohohohoho...If he knew the truth, he'd never, ever go!"

"Did I not instruct," A familiar voice boomed through the theatre. "That box 5 was to be kept empty?"

I could feel a shiver run up my spine as the crowd began to whisper nervously to one another.

"It's him," I whispered.

Carlotta looked at me sharply.

"Your role is silent, little toad!"

Irritation would've risen in my chest at her insult if it weren't for the fear that was already there.

She pulled out a flask from her dress drinking it before concealing it back underneath it and smiling as she started to continue singing.

"Serafimo, away with this pretense, you cannot speak, but kiss me in my-"

An ungodly sound erupted from her throat sounding like a large frog had gotten somehow stuck there.

I suppressed a laugh as the crowd erupted with laughter.

Her cheeks became red as a cherry with embarrassment as she tried cautiously to sing again.

"Poor fool he makes me laugh hahahaha ha-"

The sound erupted again and she screamed something incoherently the curtains quickly closing shut as she rushed off the stage.

I went up to Meg seeing her laughing with a group of dancers and I couldn't suppress mine any longer.

"Ladies and Gentleman, we do apologize, the performance will be back on momentarily when the Countess is played by Christine Daaé!" I heard André exclaim.

Before I could even have time to react suddenly the curtains opened and I watched as a body hung by a noose was thrown from above and hanging there for all to see was the lifeless body of Jacques.