Chapter 10

I hugged myself as I arrived at the cemetery, little white cotton balls of snow drifting from the gray sky as I walked through the gate.

I felt as if a million emotions were coursing through me, making my head pound as I walked through the snow.

I could hear my Father's voice echoing from the past, remembering the night he made a promise to me.

I sat in the chair beside him, listening to him softly play the violin as I stared into the fireplace feeling the warmness of it fill my face, listening to my Father play peacefully. A feeling of contentment and happiness washing over me.

He stopped playing and I looked over at him as he smiled softly at me, holding my hand gently into his.

"You know one day my child, when I am gone I will send the Angel Of Music to you, he will give you a voice like you have never known before, your voice will learn to soar, I promise you."

The memory drifted away and I could feel disappointment, sadness, and anger at his words, which had previously given me comfort now had me feeling negatively.

"Little Lottie thought of everything and nothing, her Father promised her that he would send her an Angel Of Music, her Father promised her," I whispered, feeling tears start to fill my eyes.

How I wished my Father were somehow here again, he was all that mattered to me, a friend and Father, and when he died my world was shattered, torn apart. I used to think that if I just closed my eyes and dreamed, he would be here, I would be able to hear his voice again, feel his loving presence, and have him to guide me all the days of my life.

I took a deep breath, knowing that no matter how much I dreamed, it wouldn't help me to do all that he knew I could, it wouldn't change the reality that he was truly gone.

I looked at the monuments around me as I continued to walk hating that this was where my Father lay, where his companions were cold and monumental, it seemed wrong that he should be surrounded by this when in life he was warm and gentle.

I shook my head forcing back the tears needing to move on, I couldn't dwell on the past, I couldn't continue to wish and long for someone who I know will never be here again.

"Too many years fighting back tears, why can't the past just die?" I spoke out loud as I looked up at the sky feeling the flakes of snow land on my eyelashes as I stared.

I arrived at the Mausoleum, sitting at the bottom of the steps feeling the last of my tears stream down my cold cheeks.

"Wishing you were somehow here again, knowing we must say goodbye, try to forgive, teach me to live, please give me the strength to try," I looked up at the carved image of my Father against the stone structure, placing my hands against my chest.

"No more memories, no more silent tears, no more gazing across the wasted years, please help me to say goodbye, help me say goodbye."

The tears continued uncontrollably and I allowed it, for now, but knowing that I needed to let the memory of my Father go.

I brought my knees to my chest burying my face into them as I sobbed.

Suddenly I heard a soft voice say, "Wandering child, so lost, so helpless, yearning for my guidance..."

I scrambled up, searching around for the source of the voice, my heart pounding wildly in my chest.

"Angel or Father, friend or Phantom, whose voice do I hear?"

"Have you forgotten your Angel?" He responded his voice clear and kind.

I looked to my Father's grave hearing the voice coming from there.

Could it truly be my Angel, was my mind playing tricks on me, or was it the Phantom?

I found myself slowly going up the steps of the Mausoleum, a feeling of hope rising in my chest, what if my Father truly had sent my Angel when I needed him most?

"Angel, speak what longing echo in this whisper!" I exclaimed, wanting to hear his voice again.

"Too long you've wandered in winter, far from my Fathering gaze...."

"Why does my mind beat against you?"

"You resist yet your soul obeys!"

"Angel of Music, my protector, come to me, strange Angel!" I said as I arrived at the doors, a gloved hand reaching out and I instinctively reached for it without any thought.

All of a sudden Raoul appeared in front of me, pulling me back, breaking the trance that I had seemed to be in.

"Raoul?"

"Christine, this man is not your Father!" He exclaimed as he grabbed my shoulders tightly.

Before I could have time to comprehend what he was saying I looked over his shoulders my eyes widening as I saw the glimmer of a sword.

"Raoul, behind you!" I shouted.

He turned, bringing his sword out just in time to block the strike from the Phantom. They fought moving further away from me, and all I could do was watch praying that Raoul wouldn't get hurt, wishing that there was something I could do to stop this.

I pursued them hearing their swords aggressively clash against one another, seeing the snow fly up from underneath their shoes as they quickly moved along the ground.

They seemed to have equal strength to one another, neither one able to get the upper hand against the other, when suddenly The Phantom kicked Raoul's legs out from underneath him, and his sword slid across the snow.

My heart pounded as I ran, seeing the Opera Ghost raise his sword and I threw myself over Raoul.

"Erik stop this, please!" I cried, looking up at him, the blade of the sword's tip inches from my face.

Shock momentarily came across his face as if surprised that I knew his name, his blade began to lower and that's when Raoul kicked his legs out from underneath him.

Erik crashed to the ground, his sword skidding across the ground, Raoul picked up his sword, aiming it at his chest.

I quickly grabbed his wrist before he could make another motion, shaking my head as he looked at me.

"Raoul, no, please, not now," I begged feeling tears of overwhelming and tiredness fill my eyes.

He looked to The Phantom who was still on the ground breathing heavily and then back at me and nodded as he lowered his sword, grabbing my hand and gently pulling me away.