Chapter 15

"It seems my dear we have a guest," His arm tightened around my neck as I tried desperately to breathe.

"Sir, this is indeed an unparalleled delight, I had rather hope that you would come, and now my wish comes true you have truly made my night."

I was gasping for air, my hands clutching Erik's arm, trying to pry it away from my neck. Not only was he blocking off my air circulation making it hard to breathe, but my increasing anxiety as well.

"I demand you to free her, you can do what you like, just free her, have you no pity?" Raoul demanded, his fist clutched to his side.

I heard the Phantom laugh coldly.

"Your lover makes a passionate plea,"

"Please Raoul, it's useless," I gasped, my vision starting to go blurry.

He frowned.

"I love her, does that mean nothing, show some God damn compassion!"

"The world showed no compassion to me!" Erik shouted furiously.

"Just let her go, let me see her!" He yelled and I could tell by his tone Raoul could see the color draining from my face.

"Be my guest sir..." He released me, pushing me forward and I fell onto all fours, coughing for air, rubbing my sore neck, my vision slowly coming back to normal.

"Christine!" Raoul placed a gentle hand on my back as he kneeled before me.

I couldn't even respond my breathing growing heavier and heavier the tears returning, as I looked up at Raoul.

"Monsieur, I bid you welcome, did you think that I would harm her, why would I make her pay for the sins which are yours?" 

Before I could even recover a rope was suddenly wrapped around Raoul's neck, Erik pulling him to his feet towards his chest, a look of pure insanity spread across his face.

"Order your fine horses now, raise up your hands to the level of your eyes, now nothing can save you except perhaps, Christine...start a new life with me, buy his freedom with your love refuse me, and send your lover to his death, this is the choice, this is the point of no return!"

I could feel fury increase in my chest as I shakily got to my feet, my heart rate increasing.

I was so tired of it all, of all these games he's been playing, of being lied to, manipulated, of being so naive, I just wanted freedom, away from him.

I took a deep breath as I frowned, tears streaming down my face.

"I might've once shed tears for your dark fate, but now they grow cold and turn to tears of hate!"

I could see the shock spreading across the Phantom's face as if he was shaken up over the fact that I would learn to despise him through all the things he had me endure for years.

"Christine, don't throw your life away for mine!" Raoul begged, tears filling his soft brown eyes.

My heart was torn.

If I say I love Erik my life will be over, but if I don't then Raoul's life would be.

"Do you end your days with me or do you send him to his grave?" Erik yelled his grip tightening on the rope around Raoul's neck, who gasped in pain.

"Why make her lie to you to save me?" Raoul spoke raspily.

I could see the frown on his face increase at the question irritation spreading.

"His life is now the prize which you must earn!"

I swallowed shaking my head, watching as Raoul struggled against the noose, and then I looked to Erik, into his brown eyes.

"Angel of Music, you deceived me, I gave you my mind blindly."

He took a sharp breath.

"You try my patience, make your choice!"

My life was going to be over, there was no way I would ever forgive myself if I refused, I would much rather spend the rest of my life in pieces than being free, while Raoul lay dead.

But maybe, just maybe something else may work, if he just knew what it was like to be loved, perhaps that'll open his eyes.

I knew what I had to do, it was the only thing I could think that could work and I forced my heart to soften, sympathy now returning to my face as I approached my former angel.

"Pitiful creature of darkness, what kind of life have you known?" I spoke softly. 

I placed my hand to his mask, gently taking it off, this time he wasn't angry, Erik only stared at me his eyes filled with desperation.

I dropped it, tracing my fingers against his deformed face.

"God give me courage to show you, you are not alone..."

I leaned in kissing him on the lips, my hands placed on his chest as I felt his heart accelerating in his chest.

I could feel him release the rope, Raoul falling to the floor, hearing him gasping for air.

I pulled off looking into the Phantom's eyes, seeing the tears start to fill them as he held my cheek in his hand.

He closed his eyes, roughly pushing me as he backed away.

"Forget me, forget all of this, leave me alone, forget all you've seen!"

I quickly helped Raoul to his feet hugging him tightly, looking over at Erik.

"Go now, don't wait, just go before it's too late, forget what you know of the angel in hell...Go now, go now, and leave me!"

I quickly pulled Raoul away from him, hearing the Phantom's cries as we headed toward the stairs.

I froze as we got to the top, hearing the cries of my angel continue and I knew I couldn't just leave him like this, my heart ached for him, I had to do something.

"What is it, Christine?" Raoul asked, his breath quickening.

"Wait for me, please, there's something I must do," I told him.

He looked at me confused for a moment but nodded.

"I'll wait for you."

I descended down the steps and saw Erik sitting at the edge of the stone platform, looking into the water.

"Learn to be lonely, learn to be your one companion," I heard him whisper as I walked closer to him.

I kneeled beside him, and he looked over at me his eyes widening at my presence, I could see hope filling them as if he thought I had chosen him.

"Christine, I love you,"

I took his hands into mine.

"You don't have to be alone, I promise you, you'll find someone who will love you for who you are."

He only stared, heartbroken as I released his hand, rising to my feet.

I walked away his hopeless, heartbroken stare engraved into my mind as I heard him sing.

"You alone can make my heart take flight...it's over now the music of the night!"

My heart ached for him and still does, I often wonder what became of that pitiful creature of darkness.