Chapter 8

The Masquerade dance, a party held yearly at the Opera House, filled with people in different masks and fancy costumes. Everyone usually enjoyed themselves, drinking and eating to their heart's delight, I usually enjoyed myself too. This year, however, was different everyone was trying desperately to cover up all thoughts or recollections that the series of events that had happened months ago even occurred. Especially the owners, who had strictly told everyone not to even mention the events that happened and everyone was only too willing, I on the other hand wasn't.

I was in my room fiddling with the ring on my finger, sliding it off and on, remembering the Phantom's anger at seeing it.

I heard the door open and I knew it to be Raoul as he approached me, kissing me gently on the cheek.

"You look stunning, pink suits you," He told me with a smile.

I tried for a smile but knew that he could see the nervousness in my expression as he looked at me with concern.

"Are you all right, Christine?"

I looked at my ring again then back to him.

"Raoul, have you told anyone about our engagement?"

He seemed to be thinking for a moment then shook his head.

"No, not yet,"

I slid off the ring, opening one of my dresser drawers and placing it in there, then turned to Raoul his eyebrows curved in confusion.

"Raoul, I love you so much and I'm so beyond happy that you've asked me to marry you, but for now, please let us keep it a secret."

"But why keep it secret, what have we to hide?" He asked me.

I kissed him on the cheek, cupping his face into my hands, and smiled softly at him.

"You will understand in time, just promise me, for now, we'll keep it a secret?"

He nodded, and I could tell he didn't fully understand but he smiled.

"All right, if that is your wish, now let us go for a dance,"

Raoul offered his arm to me and I took it, letting him guide me out of my room and towards the ballroom, where the party was being held.

I could hear the verses of the song as people danced, a professional singer singing on stage in the back.

"Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face, so the world will never find you!Masquerade!
Every face a different shade
Masquerade
Look around, there's another mask behind you! Flash of mauve
Splash of puce
Fool and king
Ghoul and goose
Green and black
Queen and priest
Trace of rouge
Face of beast faces
Take your turn, take a ride
On the merry-go-round in an inhuman race thigh of blue
True is false
Who is who?
Curl of lip
Swirl of gown
Ace of hearts
Face of clown faces
Drink it in, drink it up
Till you've drowned, in the light, in the sound
But who can name the face? Masquerade!
Grinning yellows, spinning reds
Masquerade
Take your fill, let the spectacle astound you! Masquerade!
Burning glances, turning heads
Masquerade
Stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you! Masquerade
Seething shadows, breathing lies
Masquerade
You can fool any friend who ever knew Masquerade!
Leering satyrs, peering eyes
Masquerade
Run and hide, but a face will still pursue you what a night, what a crowd
Makes you glad, makes you proud
All the crême de la crême
Watching us and watching them
And all of these are in the past
Six months, of relief of delight
Of Elysian peace And we can breath at last
No more notes, no more ghost
Here's a health, here's a toast
To a prosperous year, to the new chandelier And may it splendour, never fade
Six months, what a joy, what a change
What a blessed release and what a masquerade! Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face, so the world will never find you masquerade!
Every face a different shade
Masquerade
Look around, there's another mask behind you Masquerade!
Burning glances, turning heads
Masquerade
Stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you Masquerade!
Grinning yellows, spinning reds, Masquerade Take your fill let the spectacle astound you!"

-------------------------------------------

I was dancing from person to person, throughout the song, trying desperately to get back to Raoul as he was dancing with girl after girl. He kept on looking over at me and I at him, trying to make a move towards each other but another person would grab our hands and start dancing.

Finally, as the song ended I embraced him, and we laughed as we did.

"I didn't realize how hard it would be to dance with you."

I opened my mouth to respond when suddenly a chill went up my spine, I saw the candles flicker from an invisible wind and I could feel my heart begin to accelerate as I gripped Raoul's hands tightly, knowing that the Opera Ghost was here.

The music stopped and everyone turned toward the stage, in complete silence as the Phantom stood, a sword strapped to his side and holding a thick black book.

"Why so silent good, Messieurs?"

I could see a menacing smile spread across as his face as he looked over the crowd.

"Did you think that I had left you for good, have you missed me good Messieurs, for I have written you an opera, this is the finished script of Don Juan Triumphant," He threw the script towards the crowd and Firmin stumbled as he caught it in his arms.

"I advise you to comply, after all, there are worse things than a shattered Chandelier," He said as he took his sword from his scabbard, seeming to emphasize what would happen if we didn't do as he instructed.

Then The Phantom's eyes moved across the crowd, as he put his sword back to his side, his eyes landed on me and narrowed as they did.

He pointed a gloved hand at me.

"Christine, your chains are still mine, you belong to me!"

A trap door went out from underneath him and he disappeared from sight, I saw Raoul about to make a move toward the stage but I grabbed his hand, preventing him from doing so, and could feel the fear starting to form in my chest.

"Raoul, this madness has to end, if it doesn't..." I trailed off feeling too frightened to even think about what the future may hold if it didn't.

Raoul looked at me for a moment then kissed my forehead.

"It will end, I have an idea that just might work if the managers will listen."

I took a deep breath.

"They're going to have to."