Chapter 7

"You will curse the day you did not do, all that I have asked of you."

The Phantom's words echoed in my mind, despite my trying desperately to block out all thoughts of him, all fear of him. Trying to enjoy my time in the city with Raoul, it was the first time I had been out of the Opera House in years, since who I thought was my Angel Of Music had forbidden me from doing so. I wish I were able to enjoy it more.

"Christine, are you okay you've been awfully quiet?" Raoul asked me as he took my hands into his.

I tried my best for a smile, this night can not be ruined with thoughts of darkness.

"I couldn't be better, you know this is the first time I've been out of the Opera House in years."

"Years, why didn't you ever go out?" He asked me as his eyebrows rose in shock.

I stared at the ground as we continued to walk down the sidewalk past all sorts of shops, some filled with the peaceful aroma of pies and pastries, others filled with the chaotic clattering of people going in and out as they were observing the goods being sold.

"I just never got the opportunity, I supposed,"

"Did the Angel Of Music forbid you from going, perhaps?"

I looked over at me seeing a joking grin on his face and I removed my hand from his grasp, feeling irritation fill my chest.

"You don't believe me, you never did," I snapped angrily.

He looked at me with confusion and scoffed in disbelief.

"I mean, how can I, it's impossible."

I stopped, turning to him sharply.

"So you think I'm making it up, after everything I told you on the roof of the Opera House, you think I'm lying to you?"

"No, Christine, that's not what I-"

"What about everything that you've seen, Jacques was murdered it wasn't an accident, and the notes who do you think wrote those, who?" I yelled furiously, not caring if the pedestrians who walked by heard.

Raoul looked at me for a moment then took my hands into his, pulling me close until my head was resting on his chest, I hadn't realized that I was shaking.

"I'm sorry Christine, I didn't mean it like that, I'm just confused as to why everything that's happened seems to be all surrounding you or why this Opera Ghost is so obsessive over you, it's all so...."

He trailed off but I understood what he meant, having asked myself the same question. I pulled off of him and took a deep breath.

"You can't deny that he exists, but he's no ghost he's nothing more than a man,"

He pressed his forehead against mine, holding my hands close to his chest.

"I promise, I'll protect you, I meant what I said before I'll be your shelter, I'll make sure that whoever this man is will never harm you, okay?"

Raould spoke softly and I couldn't help but smile, knowing that all he said was true.

I kissed him gently and once again smiled softly at him.

"Okay."

I had confidence that as long as Raoul was beside me, nothing would harm me and I wouldn't let anything harm him.

As we arrived at my room I could feel the fear start to return, not knowing what would happen if I were alone-the words of what the Phantom had said before ringing in my ears.

"You will curse the day you did not do, all that I have asked of you."

I took Raoul's hand into mine, clinging to him desperately.

I couldn't be separated from him, I can't. If the Phantom were to kill him, I wouldn't know what to do with myself, if I were to be taken again I might never return.

"Raoul, please stay with me, don't leave me alone."

He nodded in understanding.

"I'll stay with you don't worry Christine I'll be here."

After I was dressed into my nightgown Raoul laid beside me on my bed and I laid my head against his chest, pulling the covers over us and listening to his heartbeat as I closed my eyes.

I felt Raoul kiss my forehead and in the distance, I could hear someone playing the violin. As if my Father had risen from the dead just to play.