𝟢𝟣𝟦,𝐚 𝐛𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

CH. FOURTEEN
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

"Grief Serum!" Both Ben and Minho come storming into the Med-Hut, their faces sweaty and pale and everything at once.

The Med-Jacks look up. No doubt they've heard the screams, but their faces pale even more at the sight of Joan in Minho's arms, and the Greenie in Ben's.

Joan's trashing around. She cries out, then a scream slips, and she's back to trying to escape Minho's grip, all while she's unconscious.

The Greenie is almost in a bloodbath. It took long enough for the Runners to arrive. In the meanwhile, the Griever had all the time to do whatever he wanted with the Greenie, and there's not much signs of life now.

"What happened?" Clint rushes forward after Jeff's order to put both of them down. "We heard screams but—"

"Grief Serum!" Minho yells again, almost slamming bottles onto the ground because of his rough movements. "Hurry the shuck up!"

Joan's back arches again. She chokes on blood, struggling to inhale air instead of the thick liquid until she vomits it all out. Her fingers clench around the bed, eyes squeezed shut, and she screams again.

The pain will continue until they give her the Grief Serum. Then, the Changing will start and the pain will likely turn into mental pain, unless her past was full of flowers and butterflies.

Minho finally stabs the syringe just below her collarbone, and it seems to calm the girl down immediately.

The Grief Serum is one of the supplies the Med-Jacks get. It's as much of a cure as there can be for the sting of a Griever. Just makes them get their memories back.

"Clint, not good," Ben panics. He is standing at the head of the Greenie's bed, holding the boy's face between his bloody hands. "I don't think... not sure—"

Jeff rushes toward them. Checks for injuries and the boy's breathing. Once he has found the cause of all the blood, they all realize there's not much saving to do here.

There's a big hole in his chest. High chance the Griever took an organ. Blood's streaming and streaming, painting the white sheets red.

"This Griever was wild," is all Minho can manage to say, barely any humor in his voice although the tried to lighten the mood up. The Runner wipes sweat off his forehead.

"I'll go tell Alby," he then says, blinking and sniffing. "Try to keep Greenette alive."

It's silent for a while. "...Greenette," Clint eventually repeats.

"Female for—"

"Yea, I go that," he snaps at Ben. Almost immediately, regret washes over his face. "Sorry."

"Don't be." He walks over to Joan. "This will be a tough thing."

"Not tougher than what we've had before," Jeff replies. "We'll handle it."

Ben moves his fingers over his lips. "No. She already had some crazy shit going on. If it doubles..." He ends his sentence with a hum.

Another silence until Jeff steps forward. "Her wrist is bleeding horribly. I'll treat it."

She wasn't wrong when she thought she saw the leg go halfway through her arm. There's a big gash with so much blood you can't tell the difference between skin and flesh. "She'll heal," Clint assures once he sees Ben paling even more. "I hope."

"Reassuring, m—"

"HOLY SHIT!" Camil comes wheeling into the hut on full pace, a panting Newt and shocked Alby behind him. Camil doesn't hesitate to wheel all the way over to Joan, his face full of concern. "Oh, god, man!"