𝟢𝟦𝟥,𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐩

CH. FORTY - THREE
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Oh, wow!" Chuck gasps at all the flowers in front of them. "This is beautiful."

She smiles. By now, her cheekbones are hurting; Chuck turned into a Tool-Maker, and his first job in the short training he'll get is learn about a few flowers and make oils.

"Right?" She bents down. "Just pick out some beautiful ones."

"He knew you were going to say that!" He peeps, face lighting up.

"Gally?"

"Mhm." Chuck gives her a heavy nod. "And then he told me to pick you. Which doesn't make sense, obviously, because there's no Joan flowers."

She laughs at him and Gally's comment at once, cheeks red. "Well, just take whatever ones you want."

"Okay!" Happily, he takes his basket and starts putting flowers in it, his smile even brighter than the one he had when he remembered his name. "Also, the Box came up to deliver supplies. There was a little box with your name on it. Alby put it down in your hut."

She nods. "Alright." Must be toiletries, the pills, and maybe they finally gave her the chemicals she's been trying to get for a year. "I'll check it out later."

For the following hours, the duo picks out flowers and other plants. Chuck shares his ideas about pranking people. She tries to focus, but her mind keeps wandering to the Maze. That there's just two people left to stop.

But Minho won't quit. She knows he won't.

Yet if it already took them two years to figure out there's no way out, why would they now? With just two Runners desperate to find a way out, they'll never be able to do that.

No. More Greenies will come and might want to turn into Runners. If she quits controlling the Grievers now, the whole cycle will repeat.

Besides, why would she even stop? She can control the Grievers with a few simple thoughts. Misleading the Gladers has this thing that makes it feel... powerful? There's just something to it.

"What's that?" Chuck touching her arm takes her out of her thoughts. "I recognize that sound."

She squints her eyes, then they wide, and her eyebrows furrow. "That's the Box. But you said it came up this morning! What— why— come on." Shaking her head, she pulls him with her.

"Our baskets!"

"They won't grow feet," she says quickly.

Once they've arrived at the Box, there's already a whole group around it. Most boys wear confused expressions. Well, all boys.

"What's going on?" She mutters, mostly to herself, but some reply by shrugging.

They don't even have to wait any longer. The familiar click makes some boys flinch, then, with some hesitation, Gally jumps down.

"What do you see?"

"Is it a Greenie?"

"More supplies?"