𝟢𝟦𝟤,𝐬𝐮𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

CH. FORTY - TWO
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Ahwww!" She gasps, pointing into the distance.

Camil turns his head. "What?"

"This is adorable." A gulp. "Look!"

"I see Gally, with a knife, and Chuck staring at him with wide eyes."

"Gally's teaching him how to carve!" She squeals.

"He seems to be doing this unwillingly," Camil comments. "And Chuck seems disturbingly uncomfortable. Didn't know that was even possible for that kid."

She almost makes a jump. "I'm glad they're finally starting to like each other. Well, Gally must've always liked him. He's just too 'tough' to admit it."

Camil sighs. "Make a baby and he'll like the kid for sure."

"Perhaps in the future."

He chokes on his water. "I don't know what I expected, but not that," he coughs. "Don't inform me about that."

"I thought you liked gossip. You watched me make out with him a few months ago. Together with Minho and Fry!"

"So what? After that, it has crossed a line I'm certainly not gonna step over."

"You know what happened last night?"

"You shucked him," he states. "Please just reply with one word and then let me live in peace without me having to imagine how you survive with still like fifteen inches between you."

"Notjustthat," she says.

He pulls a face.

"What? You said one word."

And shakes his head. "I'm not in the mood for this."

Slowly, her eyebrow furrow. Yeah, he's been a little off today, but she guessed he just wasn't very enthusiastic to hear her rants about Gally. "What's wrong?"

He shrugs. Lowers his head. "Minho said you, him, and Ben are the only Runners left. Everyone else quit because the Maze has been abnormally dangerous lately," he sighs. "I'm losing hope in escaping."

You should, she almost wants to say, but she doesn't. Instead, she just swallows. Blinks a few times.

Of course she doesn't want to make them sad, but her belief that this is still better than living in the outside world won't leave. Everything is literally free here. Not dangerous. Grievers won't enter the Glade as long as she keeps them under control.

"I mean, I know you don't have interest in escaping, but imagine meeting more girls. Living in a real house with Gally, and having a big garden. Being able to buy things instead of having to wait a month for it. And even about the baby thing— if you ever want that to happen, do you seriously plan on raising a kid in here?"

"You know about my theories. We're here to be kept safe."

It doesn't make sense that there's a way out then, but alright. That could be for emergencies. Or maybe it's not even a way out after all.