𝟢𝟥𝟪,𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦𝐞𝐝

CH. THIRTY - EIGHT
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

It took two weeks, at least ten visits to the lake, plenty of interactions with the Griever, and a lot of notes for her to figure things out.

A lot of things. Not just why she can control the Grievers.

Apparently, her younger self never trusted the Creators, who are called WCKD, and after they took her from the place she was originally located, she created something in their lab, put it in the Grievers' tanks, and has helped her future self a lot with that.

What did she create? No idea. It doesn't really matter either, unless she feels like she wants to control more things.

Then the thing with feeling Gally's feelings. It's not always them controlling it. It's the state of their relationship on which it depends.

Another correct theory.

So when they strongly feel things for each other, they're connected. And when those strong feelings are good, unlike hatred, they get less hallucinations.

Meaning that someone wants them to love each other.

She doesn't have an explanation to that, but so far, she thinks she did pretty well with figuring this all out.

Oh, and she saw herself insert a syringe in her own body. Just like that, the black veins on her arms had disappeared.

Not immune but definitely a help to the cure, they had said.

In the memory, she had used her own blood to create the serum she gave herself.

So... is she cured now? Immune to that virus, which she also figured out is called the Flare?

She'll make sure she'll figure that out, too.

With a sigh, she finishes making her planning. It's midnight, meaning that about two hours ago, she convinced Gally to just go to bed as she continued working. He only agreed when she assured she was alright, then urged she joined him once she's done, if she was okay with that, too.

Obviously, she was.

So she changes into pajamas (his shirt), brushes her teeth and washes her face, then makes her way to his hut.

Expecting him to be dozed off, she lies down beside him. Except her expectations aren't correct; he immediately wraps an arm around her.

"Hey," he murmurs, half-asleep. "Finished everything off?"

She hums. "Yeah. Thought you'd be asleep."

"Waited for you."

"You didn't have to—"

Joan can sense the smile on his face as he places a kiss on her forehead. "Yet I did. Good night."

"G'Night." She buries herself in his arms as deeply as possible. "I love you."

"I love you."

Joan lets out a sigh in relief. After all, it's nice to end the day in such a comfortable position.