Chapter 8: Part 2

Es spent a year in the orphanage until her grandmother took her in at 15. As our friendship grew, she decided to show me the place when we turned 18. It warmed my heart that she was willing to share this meaningful part of her life with me.

This place had an inexplicable pull on me. Whenever I visited with Es, seeing those young faces brimming with hope despite their circumstances brought a unique kind of joy. It was more than just gaining a fresh perspective on my own life; it was about acknowledging that these children deserved far more. I was determined not to let the comparison game taint my own experiences.

Es was deeply invested here, contributing a significant portion of her earnings. While I tried to help out for a few months, I couldn't do much since I had only a part-time job and had a lot of bills to pay. So, I settled into a routine of volunteering twice a month. Since I wasn't able to come since last year, I wanted to return and contribute as much as I could, and today was the perfect opportunity.

"Layla!" A little voice gasped behind me, and my heart leaped with joy. I recognized that voice - it was Kieran.

I turned around with lightning speed and spread my arms wide. "Little Kieran! You've grown so much in just a year!" I exclaimed with a laugh as he rushed into my embrace.

"I missed you!" he exclaimed, holding onto me tightly. I gently stroked his back, a smile gracing my lips.

He was a cute little guy who marched up to me on my first visit here, flashing a toothy grin and announcing that I was "super duper pretty."

He was like the little brother I never knew I needed, and I loved him so much.

"I missed you too, Kieran," I replied with warmth in my voice.

He released his hug and tugged at my hand, pulling me down to his level. "Are you going to stay today? I have so much to tell you, and I've come up with new games we could play!" His grin was infectious, and seeing him so happy created a warm lump in my throat. I silently hoped he'd grow up to be the beautiful soul he already was.

"I won't be here overnight, but we've got plenty of time before I leave. So let's not waste a second-come on!" I exclaimed, taking his hand in mine and dashing towards the building, him laughing happily beside me.

The orphanage building stood tall with its strong walls and lots of windows that let sunlight sneak in. It had a bunch of rooms where kids like Kieran could sleep and play. There was a big hall for everyone to gather and have fun together. Outside, there was a yard with swings and benches. It was a bit worn, but the inside felt lived in and cared for. It was a wonderful building.

"Hi Layla, it's been a long time," Sister Emily said with a kind smile as she walked over to greet me.

Emily was overseeing the kids, and it was clear that she had a special connection with them, given the way they clustered around her.

"Sister Emily, it's been quite a while. I had an accident last year and couldn't come for a few months," I explained.

"I heard," she replied, her smile carrying a hint of melancholy.

Her expression sobered up quickly. What was that about? Was she feeling sorry for me? It seemed like an intense reaction for someone who appeared fine.

"Let's head inside. I could really use your help," she said, guiding me towards the building. I decided to put a stop to overthinking. Why was I dissecting every little change on someone's face? This habit of mine was draining me. I shook my head, silently scolding myself for getting lost in unnecessary thoughts.

"Layla?" Paula's voice called out, drawing my attention. She walked over, her finger in her mouth, and a group of curious little kids surrounded me. Some of them recognized me, while others seemed intrigued by the new face.