Chapter 21

As I eased out of the college parking lot, the weight of uncertainty settled heavily on my shoulders. Matilda's mention of Sophie had ignited a storm of questions in my mind.

Who was Sophie to me? Was she one of my closest friends? And if so, why was her name a blank space in my memory while others remained intact?

The car rumbled along in silence, the only sound the steady hum of the engine. Despite the GPS guiding me toward Elijah's designated location, my thoughts were elsewhere, entangled in a maze of half-formed memories.

How would I ever uncover the truth about Sophie when those closest to me remained tight-lipped? It felt like grasping at shadows, trying to piece together a puzzle with missing pieces.

And why was it just Sophie and Elijah erased from my memory? Why not Esha, or my parents? The selective amnesia felt like a cruel joke.

The GPS chimed, signaling my arrival at the address, and I slowed the car to a crawl as I approached the street.

I parked the car and stepped out onto the quiet street, greeted by the sight of only two parked cars amidst a forest of towering trees. The sunlight filtered through the branches, casting a warm glow on the surroundings.

Approaching a small entrance, I pushed open the door and was immediately struck by the breathtaking scene before me. A vast expanse of ice stretched out, glistening in the sunlight. The ice reflected the light in a dazzling display, creating a magical atmosphere.

Despite the chill in the air, the beauty of the scene filled me with a sense of wonder. There were only a few people scattered around, their movements graceful as they glided across the ice.

Pausing to take it all in, I felt a sense of peace wash over me. It was as if I had stepped into a winter wonderland, and for a moment, I forgot all about my dreams and visions.

It was beautiful.

I walked a little further and saw a figure crouching down to adjust the straps of ice skates. As I took a closer look, I realized it was Elijah.

Despite all the confusion, anger, and other emotions swirling inside me, a smile crept onto my face when I saw him. He was sitting up on a rock, rubbing his palms together, even though it wasn't that cold. Maybe that's why I had loved him in the past - he hated the cold just like I did.

As I approached him I noticed he was holding a pair of ice skates in his hands, a smaller size. Maybe they were for me.

Had we been here before? Was that why he had called me over here? Yes, that might be the case.

Drawing nearer, Elijah turned around and looked up, spotting me. A wide smile lit up his face, and I felt conflicted. Did I want to see him happy when he was one of the reasons I was feeling fucked up?

"Layla!" He exclaimed, getting up to close the distance between us.

As he approached, the warmth of his thick, wool-lined jacket caught my eye, contrasting with the chilly air around us. His scarf was wrapped snugly around his neck, and a hint of frost clung to the edges of his beanie, evidence of the cold we both despised.

Meanwhile, I had thrown on a huge-ass coat, even though it was completely unnecessary.

"You came." He stopped a few steps away from me and held out his hand, guiding me towards the rock. I took a seat while he crouched down to remove the shoes I was wearing and helped me put on the ice skates.

"You have a knack for finding the best-kept secrets, huh?" I remarked with a smirk. "I didn't want to miss out on the adventure."

He chuckled softly as he finished securing the skates on my feet. "I'm glad you didn't," he said, his gaze meeting mine with a warmth that softened the edges of my uncertainty. "There's something special about this place. I thought you might appreciate it."