Chapter 23

After dropping me off at home, Elijah took my car to return to the glacier spot with his friend to retrieve his bike.

Upon returning home, I noticed that Mum and Dad didn't press for any details after witnessing Elijah drop me off.

Surprising.

I had anticipated that my parents would freak out upon seeing me with Elijah, but once again, they managed to surprise me. Not a single word escaped their lips. It was baffling how they could be so unpredictable.

I went to my room and quickly freshened up before changing into clean clothes and preparing for college. Knowing Elijah would be picking me up since he had my car, I made sure I had everything I needed before heading downstairs to grab a bite to eat.

Mum and Dad were sitting at the dining table when I entered the kitchen, both of them looking up to smile at me, pausing their conversation.

"Layla," Mum greeted, her tone neutral. I sighed inwardly, wondering if she was about to bring up Elijah again. I understood their reasons for keeping secrets about my past, but if they were going to interfere with my relationship with him, that would be a problem.

"About Elijah-" Mum began, but I cut her off before she could finish.

"Mom, if you're going to tell me to stop being friends with him, then that's not going to happen," I said, my tone firm but respectful. "Please stop trying to control my life."

"It's not like that, honey," Dad began, rising from his seat. "We just think that he's not a good infl-" I scoffed loudly.

And there it was, my attempt to not be angry with them for having their reasons crumbling. Hiding my past from me was one thing, but trying to control my relationships in the name of protection was something I wasn't going to tolerate.

"Dad, do you know him?" I asked, my arms folded across my chest. Dad exchanged a glance with Mom before returning his attention to me.

Perhaps it was time for me to start considering moving out, not just for my own mental peace, but also for theirs.

"No, honey, but-" Dad attempted to explain, but I interrupted him.

"Enough," I interjected firmly, feeling frustration bubbling up inside me. "I'm not a child. I can tell whether someone is a good influence or not. I'm not blind to that."

There was a brief pause as I looked at them both, my gaze steady. "Why, Dad?" I asked, my voice firm. "Has something happened in the past where I've made bad decisions and had a negative influence?"

A small, sarcastic smile crept onto my lips.

"What past are-" Mum rushed out to say something, but Dad placed a hand on her arm to quiet her.

"No, honey," Dad told me, his expression apologetic. "And you're right. We're sorry for trying to get involved in your relationship with Elijah and S-"

"John," Mom interrupted him abruptly.

What?

Dad's eyes widened for a second.

Elijah and whom?

"With Elijah, I mean," Dad hurriedly explained before swiftly exiting the kitchen, planting a kiss on my cheek in passing.

There was something he was about to say, someone's name on the tip of his tongue.

"Have some food before you leave, sweetheart, and enjoy your day at college," Mom smiled nervously, wiping her hands on a cloth before retreating to their bedroom.

I watched her disappear from my view, sighing heavily. It felt like being stuck in a sitcom rerun, where the same scene played out over and over again, with predictable dialogue and no resolution in sight.