Chapter 16

I couldn't believe what Esha had just said.

For a moment, I sat there in stunned silence, processing her words. Then, unable to contain myself, I burst out laughing, wrapping my arms around myself.

Esha's expression shifted from concern to confusion as she watched my reaction.

Elijah liking me? It sounded so absurd, so out of left field. Had Esha really called me here just to discuss this? It seemed ridiculous to even entertain the idea.

Elijah and I had been friends for barely a month and a half, and the thought of romantic feelings between us hadn't even crossed my mind. I was certain it hadn't crossed his either. So why was Esha bringing it up?

"Layla, I'm not kidding. Have you seen the way-"

I cut her off before she could finish her sentence. "The way he looks at me? Yes, I've noticed it, Esha." I could feel my jaw clenching with frustration. I couldn't believe I was actually having this conversation with my best friend. What was going on with Esha?

"He cares about me, sure. We've formed a strong bond as friends, but that doesn't automatically mean there's any romantic interest between us." I shook my head, feeling exasperated at having to explain something so basic. "A guy and a girl can have a close friendship, Esha. I thought you understood that."

Esha's take on this topic was rubbing me the wrong way. It was like she was seeing something that wasn't there, and it was starting to frustrate me more than it should.

She had mentioned a few times before that some of my guy friends might have had feelings for me, and we'd brushed it off with laughter, but this particular conversation was hitting a nerve. It was stirring up emotions I didn't quite know how to handle.

"I know that, Layla, and I'm not so closed-minded to think that just because you're close to a guy it means you have feelings for each other." Esha set her shake down, her tone carrying a hint of irritation.

"Then what? Why are you bringing this up when you know we're really good friends and there's nothing between us?" My annoyance grew with each passing moment of this conversation.

"Why are you so annoyed, Layla? I just mentioned that he might like you. I'm not stating any fact here. I thought, as your best friend, let me share my opinion and have a conversation with you based on what I've observed. If it's not true, then that's perfectly fine! Why are you getting so worked up over this?" She gestured with her arms, shaking her head in disbelief.

"I don't want to start seeing him in a different light!" I tried to keep my voice low. "I feel really comfortable around him, and I don't want to overanalyze every little thing he does from now on. You know how much I tend to overthink, Esha. Do you really think that after you tell me this, I won't start dissecting his behavior? And then what? I start acting weird around him, and when he asks, I tell him that maybe he likes me, and that's why I'm acting this way?" I scoffed, leaning back on the couch to take a deep breath.

I felt a surge of annoyance coursing through me. Annoyed at Esha for hiding things from me. Annoyed at the fact that I was nowhere near finding out who my dream guy was, and frustrated that my parents were keeping secrets from me.

Even though this topic didn't necessarily warrant such a reaction, I ended up taking out all my pent-up frustration on her.

I was well aware of how much of an asshole I was being right then.

"Alright, Layla, noted. From now on, I'll just stick to nodding along with whatever you say and not share any of my opinions. After all, we wouldn't want to disrupt our friendship dynamic, would we?" Esha's tone was sharp, a clear indication that she was done with the conversation.