Chapter 28

Trigger warning: Death and blood

I floated, weightless, as if carried by an invisible current, while a blanket of numbness cocooned my senses.

A brilliant light approached, growing stronger with each passing moment, until I was abruptly seated in the driver's seat of a car, hands gripping the wheel as I found myself in motion, driving forward.

"So, how did the visit go?" A voice beside me asked. I turned to see a woman with short brown hair that fell to her shoulders, her gaze fixed on me. It was Esha.

"It went pretty okay. I mean, they've scanned his entire body. They'll be telling us the results soon," I breathed out, trying to sound composed despite the fear churning inside me.

"Don't worry, guys. This is nothing serious. I mean, Layla here is pretty anxious when it comes to health, and it will not be anything so serious," she reassured, while I stared ahead, my mind racing with worry. "Don't worry, Will. You'll live a hundred years with my girl over here," she added, turning to look at Will.

He sat tiredly by the window. Will had been feeling off for days, not eating much and always tired. It worried me, but finally getting him to see a doctor a couple of days ago was a relief. Today, when Esha suggested going to the orphanage and Will seemed too tired to drive, I volunteered to take us there. He ended up nodding off in the backseat.

Hearing her words, he cracked a smile and slowly opened his eyes. I glanced at him in the rearview mirror, and the sight of his smile flooded me with relief.

"Obviously. We both made a pact that we'll outlive you all," he said with a grin, glancing from Esha to me in the mirror.

I chuckled. "There's no way we are dying before you guys."

"What kind of friends are you?" Esha shook her head, rolling down the window.

Since I was a kid, any change in someone's health, including mine, made me anxious for a doctor's visit. Even a slight variation brought on waves of worry. Maybe Will was just tired and stressed, and perhaps I was overthinking it. But I needed to calm my nerves.

"Oh, and also Elijah will be coming with us today. Sophie won't be able to make it, but Elijah has decided to leech onto us," she said, sighing dramatically. Despite her words, it was clear she adored Elijah with all her heart, even as she pretended to be annoyed by his presence.

Peak sibling behavior.

"Quit the act, Esha. We know you love having him around, bickering and all," Will said, his gaze fixed on the passing scenery outside.

"Eww. Stop making me cringe," Esha retorted, almost shuddering in mock disgust and I laughed.

So dramatic.

The phone rang loudly from the back, and I glanced at the rearview mirror to see Will checking his phone.

"It's the doctor," he said, sounding a bit worried. For the past two days, he hadn't seemed anxious, but now his expression mirrored my own growing concern.

Surely, everything would be okay. I told myself I had been too dramatic, needlessly worrying both of us.

Esha turned around in her seat as he picked up the call. She didn't seem worried at all. It was clear I was overreacting, letting my own built-in anxiety get the best of me.

"Hello, Nathan," Will greeted, his tone calm as I focused on the road ahead.

"The hospital?" Will glanced at me through the mirror, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.