Chapter 22

Elijah sat in the driver's seat while I settled down beside him in the car. Despite my insistence that I was fine, he insisted on driving me home in my car. We drove in silence, leaving his bike parked in the same spot.

We'd been to that place before. That's why he suggested going there for our date.

It made me want to laugh and scream at once. Sure, I was happy for the distraction, but I couldn't ignore the fact that he got what he wanted. And, like clockwork, another vision hit me.

I wanted to remember everything too, but I'm only human. I needed a break. Constant visions and dreams were exhausting me.

Resting my head on the headrest, I rolled down the window, savoring the fresh air as Elijah switched on the radio, keeping the volume low.

With my eyes closed, I listened to the soft music filling the space. Eventually, Elijah's voice broke through the melody. "You okay?" he asked, sounding concerned. Keeping my eyes shut, I nodded in response.

I could feel his gaze lingering on me, searching for any sign of distress.

Internally, I scoffed. You wanted this, and now you're concerned? I wanted to ask him.

"I'm having these visions, Elijah," I confessed. "And it's messing with my head. I just want you to know that. I wish I could catch a break."

Elijah remained silent for a moment. When I turned to face him, he stared straight ahead, his jaw clenched, his expression unreadable.

Was he feeling guilty? Probably.

I turned to gaze out the window, tears welling up in my eyes.

Where did things go wrong? Where did my life take this turn?

If I hadn't been in a coma, if I hadn't lost my memories, I wouldn't be scrambling to piece together my past. I wouldn't be lashing out at the people who care about me. And, most importantly, I wouldn't have to deal with the constant question in my heart.

Do I still love Elijah like I did before? I wouldn't have to agonize over that.

I immediately pushed that thought away. I didn't have the courage to confront it, not yet. The idea that I might no longer love Elijah scared me. The thought of not loving someone whom I had adored so deeply in the past was terrifying.

"Layla," Elijah interrupted my thoughts, momentarily providing a welcome distraction. "If you don't mind, can I take you somewhere? Somewhere a little far away from here," he asked.

Again? When I had just told him I needed a break?

Strangely, I didn't feel anger. Instead, I felt numb. Did he truly love me?

"Elijah, I-"

"I'll make sure it won't trigger your visions, Layla," he interrupted, his gaze carrying a hint of pain. "You said you needed a break. So come with me," he added, his voice soft yet insistent.

It felt like he understood what I meant by needing a break. As if he comprehended that I needed him to give me some space.

Maybe he was going to take me somewhere we hadn't been before.

And I believed him.

"Okay," I replied, looking at him. He seemed to brighten slightly at my agreement.

As the car rolled down the streets, I watched the passing trees against the backdrop of the setting sun. It was almost 6:30 in the evening.

"Will it be too late to go back home? I'll text my parents if that's the case," I asked, silently hoping he'd say yes. The last thing I wanted was to return home.