Chapter 15

"Don't talk to people you don't know, don't accept drinks from people you don't know, don't wander off, if someone's bothering you, come find one of us

"Don't talk to people you don't know, don't accept drinks from people you don't know, don't wander off, if someone's bothering you, come find one of us." Gray lists off, and I nod obediently as I engrain the rules in my head.

"Remember, we're not supposed to be here so don't go starting fights or anything." He points a finger at Matteo. "I'm looking at you."

He puts both his hands up in surrender and over exaggeratedly frowns. "Me? Start fights? Never." He shakes his head with a look of fake offense.

Gray rolls his eyes, "yeah, yeah." Turning to me again, his voice goes back to stern. "Again, don't accept drinks from people you don't know. This one's important, the kids at this school are weird."

"Okay," I nod eagerly, though not knowing why but knowing I'm lucky that Gray and Matteo even agreed to let me come along. Those two were the most hesitant for some reason.

I turn to look at Matteo, who still looks stiff with tension. "Are you okay?" I ask quietly, turning my head to look up at him as we continue to walk further into the forest.

He looks down at me, eyebrows raised in something close to surprise. "I'm fine." He mutters, but it's not hard to detect the coldness seeping in his tone.

I nod, even knowing he's not. After a couple more minutes of walking, I'm met with the faint sound of up-beat music, growing louder and louder the closer I get. Next, I notice the blindingly bright flashing lights, bouncing off the trees in the dark forest.

Feeling myself grow suddenly anxious, I begin to fidget with my fingers as I unknowingly nudge myself closer to Grayson and Matteo.

The latter looks back down at me, arching an eyebrow. "What's the matter with you? Never been to a party before?"

"No."

"Seriously?"

When I nod, he sighs and mumbles under his breath, "why did I even let you come." Thought it was directed, it was quiet enough that I probably wasn't meant to hear, but I did.

"You didn't have to let me come," I glower. I could've either way."

"Whatever," he rolls his eyes. "Just-" he blows out a breath, running a hand down his face, "don't go wandering off and talking to people, alright?"

"Why?"

"Because I said so." He narrows his eyes, "and so did Grayson, like, 30 seconds ago."

"That's not a good reason-"

"Oh my god." He huffs suddenly, cutting me off. "Because someone here will probably take any chance they can to take advantage of someone like you."

"Oh."

He rolls his eyes. "Yeah."

"Hey," Gray grins at all of us, "should I try the drinking contest again?"