Chapter 21: Into the Woods

TW: Death, Decapitation, Desecration of a corpse. 

-------------------------------------

Kali and Tate walk through the town, a basket in hand as they make their way through the busy streets. Word has started to get around about the ceremony, but eyes haven't yet set onto the purple haired girl. Her identity hasn't been told, yet, which she is overly happy for. Getting out is her only escape some days, so pushing back attention is ideal.

Since the last time they were in the area together, Tate keeps a closer distance to her, both of them eyeing the shop owned by the overly aggressive merchant Leif. She looks up at the younger man thankfully as he moves around her, getting between her and the building.

"Thanks for coming with me, Tate. I had no idea where to find this stuff. And it feels nicer to have you with me." She smiles and he returns the gesture.

"Yeah, of course. I know the area well, so it's not an issue. I've even had to run out a couple of times for Rala, so I get it. Though, I'm surprised she asked you to do it. She isn't too keen on getting close to people." He frowns a little, blue eyes shining brightly in the evening sun.

"She's a bit odd," Kali cracks her neck. "Fae said she's brilliant, I think she's just a bit nuts."

"She is brilliant," Tate looks at her frowning more. "A lot of people misunderstand her. She does weird things sometimes, but she's always right. She's actually really intelligent and intuitive. I think you'll learn a lot if you listen to her."

Kali bites her inner cheek and simply nods, I don't know, she may have been right about Dakki... well... I guess I just don't want her to be right.

"I didn't mean to be rude about it, it's just..."

"No, no you're right." Kali nods, looking up at him and smiling. "I guess I just didn't want to hear what she was saying because I didn't like the implications."

"What is it she said to you?" He tilts his head, his eyes directly on her as they walk ahead.

Kali opens her mouth to respond, right as Tate accidentally bumps straight into a woman bending over a market stall. The woman falls forward a little, catching herself on the table.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, are you ok?" Tate spurts out, quickly moving to her to help her get up.

"Watch where you're going! I'm pregnant, you could have killed my baby-" She looks up, long light brown hair draping around her heart shaped face. She looks up at Tate with surprised eyes, her hands cupping her almost flat stomach.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you, I wasn't watching where I was going, you're not hurt are you?" Tate asks sweetly, looking her over with concern. He pauses for a moment, his eyes examining her closer before widening. "Have I seen you before?"

"I'm not sure, I think I would recognize someone like you," her behavior changes a little, leaning into him as she gives him a once over. "You're kind of cute, my name is Mara."

Tate frowns a little, stepping back as she moves closer. "Well, like I said, sorry again for bumping into you."

"Is that your girlfriend?" Mara asks, her glare stabbing daggers into Kali.

Is this girl crazy? Kali gives her the same look back. "I'm not, but since you're pregnant, I suppose it wouldn't be any of your business, anyway."

Mara scoffs and Tate scratches the back of his head. "We really should get going, sorry again-"

"You know, you're far too handsome to be around a woman like that." The brown haired girl eyes Kali's hair.