Chapter Six

12:34 PM February 9

The sounds of empty bottles and wrappers ripped you from your light sleep in a nearly painful way.

You feel terrible. Like a violent torrent of fever was crushing your body. You couldn't even move.

Rolling over you groaned, you were on Owen's bed but there wasn't anyone there.

Or at least, you tried to roll over, but you find you had no energy.

Your body was unwilling, completely on fire, and damn near paralyzed.

"Help.... help..."

Your voice was quiet, a mere whisper. Your head buzzed ferociously at the small vibrations of your voice.

The sounds of bags and bottles stopped as light footsteps followed your voice.

Fern, appearing in the doorway, responded to your call. A trash bag filled with what you can only assume was the garbage from his room was held behind him.

You thought back to the embarrassing display you'd shown Fern. It made you feel almost guilty. You feel bad for pushing your weak will on the weaker male.

Fern seemed to tense up, annoyed maybe, but his expression of worry regarding your well-being remained unwavering.

"Fer-" you tried to ask him where Owen was, but before you could even call to Fern again your voice gave out.

Fern took a step forward to you in a panicked fashion, but stopped.

"He's- uhm-..." Fern shook his head for a moment, "I'm sorry. You're... Weak right now. I'm not the cleanest and I don't wanna get you sick. Owen is out with Gabriel. They'll be back in another hour or so." Fern spoke. His original needy tone with you is still there but it was now merged with the more serious and worrying side he'd shown previously.

Weak..? But how...? You never felt stressed before yesterday! You were doing so well, there's no way that one occurrence could've made you this sick. It wasn't the first time you'd seen a rotting or mutilated body!

Were you... Infected..?

Your whole body tensed at the thought and you felt hot tears running down your face.

God no...

Please no...

"No... You're not infected... not like that." Fern spoke solemnly.

Fern turned heel and ran back toward his room, not bothering to look at your confused expression.

It hurts. You hurt. You're so tired.

So... Tired...

"Hello cutie patootie!" Leo's sister wrapped her arm around your head, essentially in a chokehold.

Dramatically she obnoxiously kissed your cheek, even as you smiled and leaned away. Her teasing you like this was a common occurrence. The aim being to annoy Leo.

You sat in an armchair in Leo's living room, watching TV and eating string cheese wrapped in the largest pepperoni slices one could buy.

You weren't looking at Leo, but you knew him well enough to know he was preparing to get back at his sister.

With a book in Leo's hand already ready to throw, Leo's sister made a bee-line for the stairs to avoid the flying object, giggling.

The book missed and smacked into the wall behind her, making one of many existing indents on the wall.

"Whore!" Leo yelled at his fleeing sister.

You laughed and smiled. Back then, you failed to fully understand just how Leo truly dealt with his anger. Perhaps, then, you'd never understood his anger at all.