Chapter Twelve

You shuddered, the chilly air easily breaching past your thin hospital gown. Honestly, you were too nervous about leaving the building for your new cabin to really be mad about Charles's abscence.

The air was as calm and mild as it was that night too, the sun had set the same and the people were just as quiet.

Of course now it was to not alert zombie and not so you disturbed the neighbors.

The transportation vehicle was a truck with benches on each side of its trunk, similar to Owen's but sturdier.

To your surprise May, the girl Asher liked, was an infected too. May, one other girl, a tall thin boy, and a shaky boy were all boarding. All the ones who were apperantly infected looked... ill. You'd at first thought it was her makeup but a closer look at May revealed her sickly complexion. Frankly, they all looked like they were about to drop dead. Like zombies.

The other girl that wasn't you or May didn'y have a green band and seemed older than any of you. Not by much, but she was noticably more mature than anyone present.

The driver of the truck's guard gave a whistle and soon the group began boarding all the while you stood about a little dumbfounded.

Do you board too? What about Charles? He was supposed to talk to you an hour ago!

Just as it was you turn to board and you simply stood there, as though waiting to be told by Charles's kind voice that it was okay, you heard rushed and clumsy steps decending down the stairs of the school entrance.

"Sorry, Sorry! Oop, watch your feet!" Charles stumbled down the stairs, arms full of way to much for a man in heels to walk down stairs with.

Just as he reached the bottom, Charles plopped the two suitcase and a towel on the ground and kept a crate that released a terrible screech in his amrs with him keeping distance between the opening in the side acting as the breath holes and his body.

"Cossette!" Charles exclaimed upon seeing you, gently placing the crate down and rushing toward you, gently wrapping his arms around you as though he was cuddling your entire body. It took you by surprise but it wasn't entirely unwelcome.

"Come, come! I have a surprise for you!" Charles softly lead you to the crate as it hissed vicously.

Charle's stared at it for a moment with wide scared eyes and a frozen smile as he held you by the arm.

"Um... maybe it'd better if you open it?" He suggested.

With Charle's taking a step back, the movement within the crate seemed to stop.

You nervously unlatched the crate and peering inside was something peering right back at you.

Your heart melted. A large kitten was say within, long hair and brown and black fur it shook with fear.

With your fear melting away you eagerly take out the sweet furball and held it close to you, smothering it an affection which the kitten grateful and enthusiastically accepted.

"I knew you'd like it! You were worried you were going to be alone so I pulled one of the main coons from my lab and signed him off to you! Now you won't be alone!" Charles spoke cheerily, to which the cat glared at him and extended her claws.

You thought briefly about how violent this giant kitten is toward Charles.

"Did you experiment on kittens...?" you asked, a little appalled.

"O-Oh! No no! It's not like that~. We needed mousers that weren't affected by the virus so we had to manufacture a vaccine for them! She must just still be a little angry since I was the one who administered her injection."